FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AFN TDI install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AFN TDI install
    Posted: 02 Jul 20 at 09:34
If you take your engine from the Passat B5 or Audi A4 you will need a special engine mount for the non turbo side of the engine block. The the in-line tdi engine block is different from the Golf tdi engine block What can be confusing is that these engines share the same engine codes 1Z, AHU, AFN etc, but they are totally different castings.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
randolph57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 20 at 08:27
From memory the standard jx mounts will fit the VW sourced engine. You need to decide if you are using the jx exhaust manifold as you will need to re index the turbo and also source adaptor plates so you can use standard exhaust.( Tim at Ultimate engineering supplies these).
Other points to consider are which clutch - i used the solid golf flywheel and TDI clutch as i had a (modified standard gearbox) with no dramas but you may be using a flipped passat box?

There are many variables all documented on this site so you need to decide the route you are taking (usually cost based) and go from there. Ten more people can advise you.
Offland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Offland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 20 at 09:07
Hi , i have T3 california with 1.6 td and my plan is replaced engine to 1.9 tdi . I buy VW Passat from 1999  with  afn engine.  Probably I need some different bracket of other things to conversion . My friend is mechanic but never swapped before.  Can someone have for sale parts for conversion  ? Electric wire will bu sorted with other friend.  I have only 3 week to replace 😔
SouthAfrican Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthAfrican Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 20 at 09:24
Hi Andy,
Looking back at your rebuild in 2012. What would you do differently. How did the engine perform and did the syncro gearbox  handle it well? Could  you please give us a feed back on your finding, driving the AFN conversation? 
Regards
jed the spread View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION
Bullshitter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jed the spread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 12 at 17:19
You inspired me to have a go at doing mine Andy. I had some checker plate laying around the place so used that and a door mat LOL

I have an early bash plate but late exhaust so had to cut it as I went along to make it fit. I only had time to do the RH side as I only had a spare couple of hours this afternoon but it does seem to be quieter.

jed

[URL=http://www.whatatool.com[/URL]

My real name is Jarrod Walsh my number is 07940177101 or email Jed@campervanCulture.com for enquiries.
jed the spread View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION
Bullshitter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jed the spread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 12 at 17:07
Originally posted by syncroandy syncroandy wrote:

Off to the BW open-day Sunday, so long as Baxters Iltis holds up some laning is in the offing, so I made these from 0.9mm galv steel to stop my nice new motor getting covered in shite:

(Edit: the exhaust isn't as close to the tinware as it looks in the pic.)

That looks really neat, did you put the matting on the inside too?

jed
[URL=http://www.whatatool.com[/URL]

My real name is Jarrod Walsh my number is 07940177101 or email Jed@campervanCulture.com for enquiries.
Vaniller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vaniller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 12 at 22:34
Metal insert with o-ring (like on Golf engine) pushed into hole. Curly JX dipstick shortened and welded on. Hey presto, looks like the oil leak is sorted...
Every job means my van is a bit more sorted....
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 12 at 21:04
Vaniller, yes it's virtually upright.

I like the tinware too. Still got a full set on the shelf, including the exhaust cover off my old Atlantic. Got a shiny stainless back box though so conflict of interest.Smile
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 12 at 20:17
I do like the engine tinware , should get myself in gear and paint mine up for when the van returns. That's presuming they will fit with the tdi engine??? Can't imagine why not.
16" syncro multivan
Vaniller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vaniller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 12 at 19:47
Originally posted by timmythedog timmythedog wrote:

(for the time being) I have left the AFN tube in situ, cut it down, popped a JX holder on and used a JX dipstick, also cut down and remarked. Apart fom the lack of external access it is sealed and solid. Smile

Very simple, and now you say it very obvious. Does this cope with the engine being canted over?
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 12 at 12:40
(for the time being) I have left the AFN tube in situ, cut it down, popped a JX holder on and used a JX dipstick, also cut down and remarked. Apart fom the lack of external access it is sealed and solid. Smile
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
syncroandy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 12 at 12:36
Vaniller - FWIW my 'bodged' install with JX dipstick tube sealed with an o-ring and a bit of silicone is holding up OK so far.

Lee - thanks, but it did take me a whole day to make the two. The whole conversion would be very costly if I put a proper value on the time I've put in.
'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.
Vaniller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vaniller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 12 at 11:21
[QUOTE=..lee..] not had problems with drilling the tdi dipstick and pressing the jx tube in to it. is this how yours is done.

andy thats a really neat job my engine gets bloody filthy without the guards.

Hi Lee, yes drilled and squeezed in. Then silicone over that. Not done by me though. Leaking a bit but can't tell if its a thimbleful or a cupful hence why I want to upgrade the junction. Perhaps stripping and re squeezing a new tube might be an option...
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 12 at 22:57
not had problems with drilling the tdi dipstick and pressing the jx tube in to it. is this how yours is done.

andy thats a really neat job my engine gets bloody filthy without the guards.
it`s a big round cage but there`s too many animals in it for my liking.to address this ring lee on 07977 765818.
Vaniller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vaniller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 12 at 21:41
Very nice looking engine, particularly like your mock up of the piping without the engine in the way.
Quick query on the dipstick. Mine has been drilled into the block and siliconed but is passing some oil. What options are there for a better fix? Thinking about tapping and brazing the tube to a hollow threaded pipe...then threadlock this in. Anyone tried this?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 21:19
Off to the BW open-day Sunday, so long as Baxters Iltis holds up some laning is in the offing, so I made these from 0.9mm galv steel to stop my nice new motor getting covered in shite:

(Edit: the exhaust isn't as close to the tinware as it looks in the pic.)

Edited by syncroandy - 27 Apr 12 at 21:23
'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 12 at 19:15
Right, CCS is done. A while back I'd found a NOS stalk off a Golf or summat which is near enough, had to trim a tiny bit off the cowl for clearance. Length is fine with the 'velle steering wheel.

Some headscratching was involved, as I'm using a 99 ECU, and early CCS stalk. The 99 CCS stalk has an additional switch position and one more pin. I found I had to common the 'spare' ECU connection onto one of the other ones to make the ECU see the CCS as being switched on. I can forward details if anyone needs them.
'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 12 at 20:59
Yep, fitted a Mk2 Golf 3-pin sender pn. 321 907 345 A, and TDI ECU seems happy with that. Vehicle speed seen by the ECU is a bit under the actual speed seen by GPS, but the ECU has a compensation factor which I'll have a play with. Next up will be CCS !
'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 12 at 13:59
Tim, don't forget the Syncro speedo is 1000rev/km vs the 500rev/km of the 2WD, so I hope the normal hall sender may work. Watch this space.
'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 12 at 11:03
Originally posted by VW Nerd VW Nerd wrote:

The std VW vss from golf/T3 does not send a true road speed to the ecu. In fact it will only show half of true road speed, but will get rid of associated fault code.

You can buy a new item from a guy in Germany, built for TDI conversion and fitting into the back of speedo.
but will it work the CCS?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>