The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'89 LT28 MOT failure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 12 at 21:13
Pretty sure that you have said you have a 1 man bleeding kit.
Just run a tin of fluid though the rears and watch for bubbles in the jar.
Keep going until they stop.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 12 at 00:11
I have had a thought, dangerous I know.

Since the fronts were rock solid when the flexi was clamped I will bleed the rear section downstream of the flexi. There must be some air which is somehow trapped. The flexi isolates all but 6' of pipe and two wheel cylinders. 

There's a plan!

Thanks for the offer AndyT, let's see if I can figure this out.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 12 at 00:34
How are you going to pressurise the pipe and get new fluid in?
Also the longest pipe is front to rear so there could be air in there.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 12 at 08:10
I am going to check how good the fronts are again by clamping the flexi. If they are still, as yesterday, rock solid then I will leave the clamp in place. If there was any air in the long pipes it would affect the feeling at the pedal. ?Yes? I made up a little adapter last night which will allow me to bleed the wheel cylinders by pressure through the balance manifold, or through either wheel cylinder.

If my thinking is flawed, shout out.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 12 at 11:48
Air is the problem, unlike brake it fluid compresses.
Only 2 ways it can get in, either through the master cylinder seals or if you disconnect something or a seal leaks in the wheel cylinders etc.
Bubbles tend to accumulate in the highest spots which is why bleeding can be a pain.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 12 at 18:46
No work over the weekend due to hayfever. I did not at all fancy nutting the chassis rails every two minutes. So I was hoping for better than another three hapless hours under the trusty steed to no avail. Again, I clamped the rear axle flexi to find the pedal rock solid. I still bled the balance valve and found bubbles, STILL, even though with the flexi clamped, the pedal was ace. Each nipple got a full bottle run through, at least three times today. I would like to say it is better, but by a tiny margin.

Now as AndyT says the pipes hold very little fluid, I was tapping the ones I could to help things along, and opening and closing the nipple to see if it allowed the bubbles to break free. 

?Any ideas, Oh fountains of LT knowledge? ...or is it just keep doing it until it is right. 

Small concerns about some of the bleed nipples seating properly are not helping. They are not leaking under the pressure available at the moment. The fluid is beginning to look mucky now, been through a dozen times nearly. I cannot find any leaks still.

On my own tomorrow too, so will try again, unless any of you have a Brakes Fairy you can send over.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 12 at 11:30
I had another thought yesterday night. ?Had I got the auto-adjusters in the correct drums? I had no reason to think not, but worth checking. They were fine so wound out them again and slipped on the drums. Got in through the adjusting hole to do them up tighter. Refill the 'not-so' EeziBleed, and back under to knock pipes and wait for bubbles. Lo and behold more bubbles! ?How they have stayed in the lines for so long and with so many litres of fluid gushing by, I have no idea.

Nearly there, again. The pedal is now firm, and has a couple of inches travel but is not solid, yet.

Although I had cleaned up the auto-adjusters and they worked well out of the drum, I will have to keep an eye on them to ensure they are doing their job. They were solid when I removed them, needing heating to separate the threaded sections, so they are bound to be better,?Yes?

I will use some new fluid to do the final bleed, not today but hopefully Monday or Tuesday.

Time to start welding training. I feel a new thread coming on, AndyT.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 12 at 15:34
Before we start another thread....

I went around the block today, to get turned around for the NSF wheelarch welding which will follow. Brakes are pretty damned excellent. The shoes need bedding in a bit, but eventually, all seems well. I suppose it is my inexperience with vehicles with a wheel at four corners that has done me in. The slack pedal after unclamping the rear axle flexi, was not air but the wheel cylinders filling up. For what ever reason the auto-adjust was not making the amount of adjustment I had expected, so I jumped to the wrong conclusion. Now I know. Thank you all who have put me on the right path.

?The alternator connections? 1no 8mm eye, 1no 4mm eye and 1no 6mm spade. ?Is that right? Again i suppose it is before modular connections, though the dash switches are really easy. 

The 8mm eye is turning with the nut. Not helpful since I am ready to weld in my little patch.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 12 at 15:42
Prsumably you are thinking about protecting the electrics.
If so just disconnect the battery.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 12 at 15:49
It has an isolator, which cuts both live and earth, so that is doing the job ?yes?

VW LT Camper not Cramper

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 12 at 16:14
Don't know, in theory.......

5 mins, take off the battery connections - that's what I do.
On modern vehicles can piss off the immobiliser etc, but on old stuff never had a problem.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 12 at 17:49
Thanks again AndyT, first go was not too bad, sorry no picturesEmbarrassed 

The patch was fine for a first piece of tin-bashing, even the tacking was good, nice, round weld right where needed. The welding however, though it got a great hold was less than attractive. Another piece to cut and shape tomorrow, with a photo-rich documentary.

Following the joint is a bit of a pain, so a bit more light is needed too.

Sadly that is it for today, more fun tomorrow.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 12 at 18:25
Takes a bit of learning, light needs to be bright enough to see the edge of the patch you are welding.
Don't bother with led stuff, and make sure the bulb is protected.
Old headlights work ace if you have one, otherwise £20ish for a decent light.

Got 2 of this type no complaints at all:-

http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-electrical-tools/inspection-light.html

Try ebay, possibly cheaper.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 12 at 20:22
Plenty spare headlamps...and bulbs...and a new leisure battery...worklight here I come.Clap

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 12 at 14:06
Did not bother with a lamp today, blazing sunshine, which presents its' own problems for an auto helmet. The patch is in. Not pretty by any means, but it is solid. I will need to clear more of the underseal next time I do any.....and do a lot more practising. It underlines the necessity of having clean material. I found it awkward cutting and cleaning but I suppose there are worse places.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 12 at 12:12
Just walked back from the MOT station with high hopes.

When I came to do the fog light, I could not find the black wire in the loom so I ran a new one. ?Is it meant to be in the main loom running down the NS? Not too difficult, but not what I like to see. I decided to take off the trailer hitch and socket. Hitch was a bolt-on which blocked the steps when in position, and I do not have a trailer. The socket went because it was another add-on to the electrical system which was unprofessionally executed.

No photo-rich documentary though but it went better. More practise still though.

While I remember, I mentioned  the odd ORing when I did the half-shafts. I am still not sure of its' function, the little extra bit that is. There is a hole which connects the space behind the oil seal to the area surrounded by the ORings' extension. Once this is all bolted together, it forms a reservoir. The replacement bearing kit has a normal ORing which allows oil seeping past the seal to exit at the flange and so be an early warning of impending hard work. That is my belief, but I have been wrong before, and no doubt will be again.

While I was underneath I took some photographs of the damage that the tinworm has reeked. Best get some metal in since there will not be much left soon.

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p534/Chris-R-Batey/LT28%20Bodywork/

Quite pleased at the moment, though it has been a right royal pain at times. 

I know, welcome to the wonderful world of LT ownership....hopefully with an MOT later.Clap

Edited by LTCamper89 - 06 Aug 12 at 19:14

VW LT Camper not Cramper

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 12 at 12:27
Can't remember if the MOT is a re-test or not, but there's a couple of similar rust spots that mine has failed on in the past. Need to get busy mate, cos it only gets worse if you leave it.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 12 at 12:38
AndyT, it is a full retest due to the inordinate amount of time I have taken. Nothing else has changed, got worse, but there is plenty to do, right enough. Now that I am mobile, almost, I should be able to get out and find panels which need less, better still no, repairing.

Good news later, maybe.Smile

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 12 at 17:11

Smile WooHooSmile

MOT passed, but they fitted a washer motor???...like I could not manage that.

Walking round in the rain, riding back in styleBig smile

Skippy, the Aussie garage man, drove it back from the MOT branch and thought it a 'sweet old bus, drives beaut'

Then I bollocked him for not ringing about the washer motor. Not picked up on the original test, but strangely no good today. Ditto the short rigid line to the NS calliper, and the section of line between the master cylinder and the front union. 'Bollocks, I said, They cannot go from fine to not fine in two months standing still.'  Had a nice little chat about the van, and what we are going to do with it. He knocked a tenner off for the lack of a call.

Anyway, not bothered particularly, but it means redoing the brakes again at some point. Actually enjoyed driving back, about 1/2 mile.Smile

Edited by LTCamper89 - 06 Aug 12 at 19:12

VW LT Camper not Cramper

mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 12 at 20:19
Excellent, well done!Smile

Looks to be quite a lot of trapped mud on the underside, so might be worth giving it a good clean so areas that are still solid last longer.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>