The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dk gearbox change guide

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bsurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dk gearbox change guide
    Posted: 27 Sep 12 at 11:37
Hi all
i am looking for the bolt looking part and the bush that the linkage slide on to select the gears
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 12 at 11:45
so are most of the people who start doing a DK conversion!

if you haven't got the rod, then your only option is to get one second hand..  they cannot be got new.  Bush can be got from JK along with the boot.

what engine is it going on?  you'll also need to modify gearbox mount depending on what exactly you are doing.
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Bsurf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bsurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 12 at 11:50
Yea got the rod that's done just need the bolt looking part that's on the box(or not!) and the bush that goes in the shift rod end,it's a ej22
Bsurf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bsurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 12 at 11:51
Oh and the box is fitted along with the modded rod
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 12 at 11:57
dunno which bit you mean then chap..  

Originally posted by Bsurf Bsurf wrote:

just need the bolt looking part that's on the box(or not!)

Bsurf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bsurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 12 at 12:03
Your ace! If you look at the exploded view on that link you just sent its all the bits to the right
Thanks brother
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 12 at 12:28
ahhh, thats the "rod" I was on about..  I had a few but sold them all now!

it's a funny slightly bent rod, can't be seen in the pics as it looks straight, and you have to get this in the correct position when setting up the gears or it won't work..

it's got a ridge and a thread on the other end which tightens up through the linkage "lug" cast onto the side of the DK box...
Bsurf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bsurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 12 at 12:50
Thanks lets hope there's someone out there!
michestar View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 12 at 13:15
Originally posted by mrhutch mrhutch wrote:

ahhh, thats the "rod" I was on about..  I had a few but sold them all now!

it's a funny slightly bent rod, can't be seen in the pics as it looks straight, and you have to get this in the correct position when setting up the gears or it won't work..

it's got a ridge and a thread on the other end which tightens up through the linkage "lug" cast onto the side of the DK box...

ahhh ...i turned mine on a lathe as couldnt find one ...mines straight though,seems to works ok but id be interested to see a real one to see how much of a bend there is.

always felt the shift linkage seemed a bit low next to the box looking at the nylon ball/cup set up.

can you remember which way it should "crank"? im guessing up!

just found a pic via google cranks up by around 10 degrees,sound about right?

Edited by michestar - 27 Sep 12 at 13:58
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 12 at 14:14
yeah thats about it, saying that I reckon it only really counts if you've replaced all other bushes from stick to selector - the slack will be taken up somewhere else and although my gearchange isn't great I manage fine with it!
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 12 at 14:16
IIRC Rowlsey found that the pin/cup bush is easily replaced with rocker cover bolt gaskets from a 110 landy!
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 12 at 17:16
ah-yes! needs a tickle with a dremmel or similar. my eccentric adjustment was pointed all the way up for a shorter action and changed gear with a nice feel to it.
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
michestar View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 12 at 17:51

thanks for posting that up i never knew as id never seen a proper one in the flesh.

i'd always felt it could do with that quicker throw for less travel...you know what i mean!

new box time so was planning on renewing bushes...guess i might aswell drop the tank too..arse!

cheers

booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 15 at 10:41
Im just about to try to fit a DK box to my panel van, i know the rod is now available from Mr Baxters fine establishment , but are  the associated bushes  [ i havent been able to find them] if not can you give me any more info on the landrover bits.
also i just read elswhere that the drive shafts are different , is this going to cause me problems
im aware that the dk box is shorter so the mount will need to be modified but the current ASM box mounted to the Audi 5cyl is a tight fit
i have the rear part of the DK linkage.
any other issues you know of
cheers

Edited by booted - 29 Dec 15 at 10:42
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 15 at 22:27
Pretty sure the driveshafts are the same tony, I think the only box with different shafts was the auto?
'83 T3 westy - biguns got it
68 buggy again!- Roger the cat is going to finish it
Syncro, previously known as the scoobyvelle

Shit I need to sell some MORE cars!
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 15 at 11:52
thats a relief
Thanks Scott
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 15 at 16:07
Whs

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 15 at 20:32
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/crew-cab-double-cab-doka_topic33347_page11.html

half way down the page....200tdi rocket grommit/seal may have a few left - ill take a look in the next couple of days 

booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 15 at 23:05
Cheers
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 16 at 20:30
its in and almost working, we ended up using a Audi S2 gearbox spacer 8mm, [10mm might have been better as we had to shave a bit off the friction plate]  the Audi coupe pressure plate and the T3 friction plate [as was in with the home made bellhousing] just need to adjust the linkage a bit . i think the air cooled gear lever i got is past its best

Edited by booted - 20 Feb 16 at 20:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>