The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

gearstickgaiter/rubber boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gearstickgaiter/rubber boot
    Posted: 08 Mar 13 at 23:08
Hi all,anyone tried a T3/3 g/stick boot on a mk 1 lt. it looks like it might adapt as i dont think these are available any more any ideas welcome possibly one off a truck might fit ?
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 13 at 16:13
Angry someone out there must have come across this prob thanks.
Dreamcatcher View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 13 at 20:47

I did look at this some years ago and from memory the T3 boot was to small with totally different fixing.

As you have probably found out the Lt boot is no longer available and most second hand ones are perished to the point of being a waste of money.

I have repaired mine several times with black silicone but that only lasts a short time.

I have toyed with the idea of making a leather gator fixed down with a clamping ring but having one like the original would be best.

If enough owners could be found, that would be prepared to purchase one, I dare say a rubber moulder would run off a batch from a pattern, after all thats how rubber seals etc are obtained by these clasic car clubs.  Thumbs Up 

Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 13 at 23:09
Something like Single cab pick upflex 221 might adhere better, but it's still not likely to be a long term solution :-(
As a preventative measure I treat rubber/plastic parts with silicone spray, to try and keep things more supple as the sunlight tries to make them brittle. Time will tell...
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 14:53
Thanks Dreamcatcher and Mat-the-cat done the silecone thing  the spray is a good idea also .you also might have saved me money in purchasing a t/3 one. I wounder  if brickwerks would look into this i'm sure we are all sick of road noise and fumes coming up here and surely there is enough demand on here for a manufacture to entertain.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 13 at 12:24
Hi all,can we form a list of all who require this which i would say includes almost every MK1 LT.  owner at this stage! And if someone knows of a rubber seal manufacture perhaps we could all get together on this.Tongue
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 13 at 12:44
Before we start forming lists, I will approach one or two companies to see what the likely initial cost would be. I have a spare gaiter/ bellows as pattern.
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 13 at 18:14
Well done Dreamcatcher your'e an absolute star .Clap
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 13 at 13:39

I have now made contact with and had discussions with a couple of rubber molding Co’s.

It would appear that to mold the bellows shape, requires a three piece mold with the center part in highly polished steel to enable the injected form to be released.

As a rough guide the tooling could be between £4000 and £5000 but once made each unit could be as low as £5.00

Unless some budding entrepreneurs wanted to stump up the tooling cost and sell the bellows at say £25.00 each, clearing the set up costs after about   250 units, I cant see a way forward.

It would be cheaper to have tooling made and manufacture in India or China and I will continue making inquiry’s, but it would be good to know just how much interest there is and how much people are prepared to spend.

PS: Who thought it clever for ths program to keep changing what you write

Edited by Dreamcatcher - 28 Mar 13 at 13:50
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 13 at 19:25
Thanks for all your hard work Dreamcatcher,much appreciated i think the last price i got when they were still available was £75 stg so i think most people would go to £50 ? Tongue
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 13 at 23:13
If I needed it I'd pay ~£100, as a spare just in case, no more than £20. Think it's a no-goer at this stage, unless tooling costs come down a lot!

Edited by mat_the_cat - 01 Apr 13 at 22:08
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 13 at 00:06
Thankfully mine is in excellent condition, but £50 to replace it is way more than I would be willing to pay, let alone able to.

Tooling for moulded items is horrendous unless you can share it over a high number of parts. 

Tooling £5000. Mouldings 100no x £10ea =£150ea
Tooling £5000. Mouldings 1000no x £10ea = £15ea. We would all stump up for one, I am sure.

I will ask an ex-supplier of mine too, just for comparison.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 13 at 11:08
Go with matts idea. Black Single cab pick upfelx 221 will make an excellent job of it. Its tough stuff, really doesn't want to shift once applied and perfectly flexible.  It would be a tidy bodge.
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 13 at 23:05
Well done lads keep up the good work,i will make inquiries here also as the euro exchange rate might help.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 13 at 13:25
Hi all,just a though but who made the original ?If not VW  perhaps if there still in biz manufacturing other boots they might still have moulds/machinery and be interested in re-manufacture if there where enough orders. How would you go about finding this out any ideas ? 
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 13 at 11:50
Originally posted by lorryloader lorryloader wrote:

Hi all,just a though but who made the original ?If not VW  perhaps if there still in biz manufacturing other boots they might still have moulds/machinery and be interested in re-manufacture if there where enough orders. How would you go about finding this out any ideas ? 
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 13 at 11:59

Update had a chat with a manufacture here and was given a much much cheaper ball park figure,however this only on the phone without pictures and dimensions if i had some indication of the total amount of interest i would pursue this further all replies welcome.Wink
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 13 at 12:14

LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 13 at 16:36

ANY IDEAS/FEEDBACK ?
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 13 at 15:06
Hello !?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>