The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

gearstickgaiter/rubber boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 13 at 16:08
I think the fact that nobody has replied means they don't have contacts - I certainly don't know any boot/gaiter manufacturers but thought it pointless just replying to a thread to say I don't know!
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 13 at 22:39
The point was if anybody on here knew who originally made the boot as in VW. or out sourced to a supplier. Also i had made inquiries here as stated in my post and i was looking for some feed-back in the same way you managed to get enough response to go ahead with the nylon guide bushes. Ok perhaps most mk-1 lt  people on here have found an alternative boot which does the job -i just wish i knew what !
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 13 at 22:45
Ah, I missed that bit about if there were any interested parties. It's a bit of a Catch-22 situation, I'd want to know a rough price before I said whether I wanted one, but you need to know how many people want one before you can get a rough price!

As I don't actually need one, I would pay £20 to have a spare but no more. I would be confident that VW didn't actually make the part themselves but bought it in from a supplier, but only they would know.
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 13 at 22:58
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

I will ask an ex-supplier of mine too, just for comparison.

I have just today remembered the name of the company. You know, tip of the tongue but no amount of hints or clues gives the right answer, Google etc only help if you have spelled it in correctly, so not knowing one way or the other does not help in the slightest. Funny though, I could see both of them, female, and could not remember from whence they came.

I will do a drawing and a couple of photographs and see what happens.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 13 at 23:05
All points taken on board,yes its quite a different situation with a lot more money involved to get a nicely shaped piece of rubber re-manufactured ! Guess its a non starter then and i suppose i should have stated the rough figure quoted here - two thousand euro which was considerably less than the UK. I will still look into this a little further just to see.
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 13 at 23:13
Good,likewise see what we come up with.
Dreamcatcher View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 13 at 00:30
Im still waiting to hear from my chinese contact, will keep you posted.Thumbs Up
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 13 at 16:10

Well done to Mat the Cat for finding the site and LT Camper89 for spotting http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Universal_Convoluted_Rubber_Gear_Gaiter_GRGTR

I have purchased one to try and this is the result.

Its not half bad, albeit slightly smaller than the original, but it covers the hole and will stop the draft blowing up my trousers leg.

It will  either  need the bottom flange sandwiching between two larger rubber sheets or fixing the flange down with a retaining ring, as the rubber is quite floppy unlike the original.

I favor the retaining ring as it will finish off the look and hide the edge of the mat, but all in all it is a good compromise.  Thumbs Up

Edited by Dreamcatcher - 21 May 13 at 18:07
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 13 at 10:32
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 13 at 10:51
As you say DC, not as 'attractive' or as neat a fit, but certainly does the job.Thumbs Up

The time will come when we all have one, unless a big stash of NOS turns up.Wink
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 13 at 00:20
Yes D/C thanks for pic's and details and been brave in trying one! It did look floppy in the web pics, but i am still convinced that one off a current model truck would also do and be more robust if i find one will let you all know!Ermm
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 13 at 16:26
While surfing as you do this came up on a facbook link.
It is just over a year old, but HS Autoparts are still there, though no site to speak of. 

VW LT Camper not Cramper

mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 13 at 00:00
I never get useful stuff like that up on Facebook links. The stuff I do get up, I'm not sure what it suggests about my viewing habits Embarrassed
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 13 at 00:17
Just looking up the WRONG stuff.

It was a link through GImages to Facebook, so that might explain it........mebbees.

Naughty boy.Wink

It does look nice and shiny though.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 13 at 10:27
Yes that looks quiet substantial and sturdy, good work you gonna try one ?Tongue
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 13 at 10:51
Mine is fine, but it may have been stock, and may not have been the last one.

Worth an email, though being Dutch they probably speak perfect English.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Uberhare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uberhare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 13 at 16:42
Mine is torn in several places....Desperate for a replacement!  It looks like the later trucks had a thicker/heavier one?

I have a blanket wrapped around it right now for highway travels.  Really cuts down the noise.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 13 at 16:34

It is just over a year old, but HS Autoparts are still there, though no site to speak of. 
yes this also now comes up on the vw classic parts.de (21 euro29cent) its actually for a LHD but its good  value and could easily be adapted ? Any one got one yet ?Tongue
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 13 at 22:11
Originally posted by lorryloader lorryloader wrote:

yes this also now comes up on the vw classic parts.de (21 euro29cent) its actually for a LHD but its good  value and could easily be adapted ? Any one got one yet ?Tongue

Have you got a link that that?  I've looked on their site but can't bloody find it! Angry

If you can find a link I'll order one Tongue

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 13 at 22:40
Hi chappy, yes the site is not very user friendly ! sorry don't know how to do the link thing,but if you go on there click into online shop then bus/lt in the column on the left then picture of lt comes up, click then picture of door comes up,click then pic of seat comes up and then finally the gator appears ! 
Very long winded i know and also i cant get full translation give it a go let me know how you get on.

Oh lastly click the seat pic .

Edited by lorryloader - 01 Oct 13 at 22:42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>