The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Load sensing valve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bohemian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Load sensing valve
    Posted: 02 Aug 13 at 16:46
I quite urgently need a Load Sensing Valve part number 281612501A for my LT 35.  I'm based in Ireland but would be willing to pay for postage obviously.

If anyone can help please let me know.

Cheers
SteveSt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveSt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 13 at 00:48
Check out this thread
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/rear-brake-pressure-regulator-booster_topic81142_page1.html
As I said in that there.
EuroCar Parts can get them over from Germany.
PM me if you need any help.
LT31 1991 2.4 TD Florida Westphalia • Honda ST1100 • Ford Tourneo Connect
Bohemian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bohemian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 13 at 13:45
Thanks a million for that Steve.. it looks like they have the part alright.  The price is a bit of a shock but needs must I suppose.. 

Very much appreciate the reply :-)
SteveSt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 13 at 17:46
My Pleasure mate.
I hope they get it and it solves your problems
Incidentally I had to speak to a local branch manager to get a positive response. The guy I spoke to on their 'main number' said they we no longer listed/available

Edited by SteveSt - 04 Aug 13 at 18:48
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 13 at 12:26
Look me up if you get stuck.
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 13 at 12:33
If you do get one, I'd be interested in your old one please - obviously I'd pay postage plus something for your time to package it. Mine is getting a little stiff plus I've managed to snap off the bleed screw. I'd like to have a go and see if they can be rebuilt, but I'd rather not have my van undriveable while I'm investigating. If I manage it I will post up details of seals required, etc on here so hopefully in the future others can benefit.

Edited by mat_the_cat - 05 Aug 13 at 12:34
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 13 at 17:33
Failed my MOT again today, principally on brake imbalance across the rear axle, which is a new rule since April-ish.

?Could the regulator be at fault? 

The low reading, 5%, was on the nearside, while the 47% was on the OS which was flooded with fluid after the wheel cylinder failed?
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
SteveSt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 13 at 17:49
From my recent experience I say that it is not load balancer, as that affects the rear brakes equally.
If you have had to replace a rear cylinder are you sure you have bled both sided successfully.
I'd be interested to learn from someone who HAS taken one of these damn things apart how they work.
I understand they are a "limiter"; the greater the load, the less they restrict the pressure to the rear cyls.
They must have seals/'o' rings in them. Do these fail and allow pressure to pass more readily which = greater stopping from the rears OR do they seize and completely restrict the rears?
AND
If LT1's have dual circuit. Is that diagonal or front or rear?
If the latter I reckon you'd be better off sticking you foot out the door (but you'd need a long leg and a heavy duty boot!)

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 13 at 18:38
Just a thought, may as well ask.

It appears that it may be front/rear. The forward port on the master cylinder goes to the regulator directly, while the aft port goes to the front discs via a junction, of which one port continues to the regulator too.

The note on my ticket says ***Dangerous*** and yet they have never felt better.Shocked
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 13 at 19:34
http://www.lt-freunde.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&p=61004#p61004

Always useful, if very left field, those Germans.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 13 at 10:57
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

Failed my MOT again today, principally on brake imbalance across the rear axle, which is a new rule since April-ish.

?Could the regulator be at fault? 

The low reading, 5%, was on the nearside, while the 47% was on the OS which was flooded with fluid after the wheel cylinder failed?

That's what i'm getting on mine.  I'm adjusting the rear shoes manually and the off-side side needs a lot more than the other. They were ok.  You have two feeds into the load sensing valve and one out.  So i'm assuming it's air.  But seems strange that both you and I have the same sides weak and strong?  Plus the nearside is the longer pipe.  Could be restricted flow (more than it should be) caused by the valve therefore it is favouring the shortest pipe?

I've just sent off my pressure regulator to see if it can be re-conditioned and then I've got new drums and shoes to go on as well.  Don't really want to start the job until I have all the parts ready to go.  I'll update the other thread when I know more.

I'm curious to know if you can take the bloody thing out.  Who would know or do all vans have them?  My van must be near the full load all the time as it's a motorhome so it can't make that much difference, can it?

Edited by volition82 - 06 Aug 13 at 11:00
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 13 at 11:44
Originally posted by volition82 volition82 wrote:

I'm curious to know if you can take the bloody thing out.  Who would know or do all vans have them?  My van must be near the full load all the time as it's a motorhome so it can't make that much difference, can it?

That would be my view too - if it's carrying a constant weight then the braking force required should be reasonably constant - ignoring the effects of weight transfer to the front during braking. I'm not sure whether the compensator reduces braking effort under those conditions. Even if you're not carrying the full axle weight in a lighter camper van, if you had some kind of fixed restriction to prevent the rear brakes from locking, you should be OK.

The arm on mine is stiff to move, and looking at it during the recent MOT it was moving very little as the rear suspension compressed. The actual braking effort was fine though, so the tester said he wasn't concerned about it, with it being a camper van. Whether he'd be happy to pass it without one in place I didn't ask - the MOT Manual states that a reason for failure is:
Quote Evidence that a load sensing valve has been removed or disconnected from a vehicle where it is known to have been fitted as standard.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 13 at 14:17
Originally posted by mat_the_cat mat_the_cat wrote:

the MOT Manual states that a reason for failure is:
Quote Evidence that a load sensing valve has been removed or disconnected from a vehicle where it is known to have been fitted as standard.

That's a pita!  You can't really hide the fact there was a valve.  The bracket it fits to is welded to the chassis.  This job is starting to get on my t*ts!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 13 at 05:58

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 13 at 10:04
I hadn't noticed the bit about O ring size at the bottom, so potentially you could have all the bits in ready before you start stripping it down Thumbs Up

I tend to get bearings and seals from here, as there are no engineering suppliers locally. Quite looking forwards to having a go now, as the sense of satisfaction from repairing something is greater than simply bolting a new part on. Although if the vehicle is in regular use, it's tempting just to buy new as working under pressure takes all the fun out of it...
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 13 at 11:05
Good find there LTCamper89.  I've sent the links to the people I've sent the regulator too.  Might be of some use to them.  Can't see why they wouldn't be able to re-condition it now?  I'll post a link to this thread on the other one as well to help people when searching in the future.

By the way how does everybody else translate the page via Google translate?  It's a bit hard to understand it.  But as they say a picture paints a thousand words!

Link to the other thread for future reference;

Edited by volition82 - 07 Aug 13 at 11:12
Bohemian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bohemian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 13 at 18:00
Apologies for the delay replying mat_the_cat... I'm waiting until my mechanic gets back from holidays and am going to discuss it with him.  If I take it out you can have it.  Also failed the MOT (well the Irish equivalent) because of brakes and this specifically 
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 13 at 18:02
If you search 'LT Wiki' then the listing shows this which has 'Translate Page' option at the title.

\It will not, however, translate text on photographs, but as you say 1000 words and all that.

Edit: The good thing about German is that once you know a few words, bremse etc, it is possible to translate the text, eventually.

Edited by LTCamper89 - 07 Aug 13 at 18:14

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Bohemian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bohemian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 13 at 13:55
I tried to buy the part 281612501A but have been told it is no longer available.  If anyone can help or has any suggestions please let me know.

Cheers :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply