The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.9Tdi MAF Sensor Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 14 at 14:51
Ah, ok, i think i understand - both the AGR and JX are wastegates controlled by pressure.

The diagrams i listed are for turbos controlled by vacuum.

I need to find a diagram for the AGR system. My Mk4 1999 Golf has a 1.9tdi 90bhp and may be the same engine - i`ll take a look and if it is, this may help me (i think!)
---------

1989 T3 Bluestar AFN TDi Flipped Gearbox
mike1978 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 14 at 14:56
I think this is the right diagram on this page - 

---------

syncroandy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 14 at 15:45
Originally posted by syncroandy syncroandy wrote:

Edit: From the manual:

'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.
mike1978 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 14 at 16:09
Perfect - thank you Smile
---------

youthy giblets View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 14 at 16:15
Sorry to be nasty but that is one horrific install. Sounds like you could be chasing your tail a lot to put that right. I'm suprised it runs in anything other than limp mode to be honest.
mike1978 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 14 at 16:47
To be honest, i completely agree with you.

I`ll probably have a look at hooking the boost control valve up and a MAF sensor from the breakers to see if it`ll drive any better temporarily until i find myself an EJ25 engine.

If it doesn`t, i`ll cut my losses and just drive it as is until then. 

Its a shame because the engine sounds really smooth, starts well - i`ve got the full service history from the original car and if the conversion had been done better, i`m sure it would`ve been good. 

I was just looking at Andys TDI Harness conversions on his page - if i`d done the conversion, i would`ve used something like that and the correct turbo etc.
---------

jim potter View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim potter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 14 at 17:06
dont write it off just yet .

hook up the maf and some form off boost control and see whats what .
with the egr solenoid leave it connected but blank off the ports , it should not throw a fault code .
 i'm sure a weekend of redoing things would result in a much improved setup.

IMO depends on how far you want to go really, if your dead set on a scooby lump , then spend as little as you need to , to have it run right but safe . ( that may be quite alot )

however you may then find the engine you have now once properly setup does the job you want .
and remember power/trq upgrades on these yield good results .

Full vcds ,vag tacho,
immo removal ( postal service avalible ), ecu remapping , spanners and a garage for anyone that wants any help, kettle always on.
mike1978 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 14 at 19:33
Right - i had a good look under the engine tonight, but first, i had a quick look at my mk4 golf engine and it turns out it is also an AGR 1.9tdi and i can the 3 sensors i have all connected into the vacuum hoses. There is the EGR , boost control valve and another (not sure about that one).

Here is a pic of the golfs turbo and where the vac pipes enter it on the top and there is also one underneath which looks like it would operate a lever.

The turbo on the van is a VW one and says KKK on the side  - i tried to take a pic of the parts number on the side too. I can`t see any vacuum hoses attached, but there is a hard line attached to part of it which goes to the other side of it.

Pics - 

Here`s some other pics of the engine inlcuding the ecu number, an extended dipstick, the sump, intercooler, and other general pics -

---------

mike1978 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 14 at 19:36
double post

Edited by mike1978 - 24 Jul 14 at 14:19
---------

busbuddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busbuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 14 at 19:48
Originally posted by mike1978 mike1978 wrote:

The odbc connector is there and shows 4 codes - can`t remember exactly as we checked at the garage - the most significant though was vehicle speed sensor.

im surprised there are only 4 codes flagged up by the ecu Shocked

i would also be looking at the front end to see if the throttle/brake/clutch switches are all present and proper as well
jim potter View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim potter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 14 at 19:51
well on the plus side , hard bits done .

id be looking to take apart and redo pipework , remount intercooler . tidy up the wiring etc .
 how many miles have you done in it so far, as the oil return looks very low into the sump ..

it looks like you have a kkk14 turbo . good for a bar of boost ..
seems the agr turbo also does around a bar peak .

so id look at controlling the boost to 1 bar manually ( you could adjust wastegate or use a manual bleed valve ) at peak, with the maf.
that should give you some improvement  and match what it should have.

Edited by jim potter - 23 Jul 14 at 19:54
Full vcds ,vag tacho,
immo removal ( postal service avalible ), ecu remapping , spanners and a garage for anyone that wants any help, kettle always on.
mike1978 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 14 at 20:25
Yes, everything else on the van is pretty good - my main concern when buying the van was the exterior to have minimal seam rust and the interior to be good aswell, both of which are. Brakes, handling and steering are all pretty good too.

The engine wasn't my main concern as I knew that if be planning to replace it quite quickly with a scooby - been there and know it well :)

The tdi was a bit of an unknown and surprise to be honest!

Anyway, I've been having a think and for the time being I'm going to do what Jim suggests, up the max boost a little manually and fit the maf.

I have a beetle to rebuild this weekend and then we're on holiday for s couple of weeks. When I get back, I'll crack on with the scooby conversion. I'll them sell the tdi conversion and I'm sure with a bit of time and patience the engine can be sorted :) there's not much point on me spending time getting it running well when I'll just take it out soon!

Thank you for all the help and advice

I imagine I'll start a build thread soon!
Cheers, mike
---------

mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 14 at 22:05
Good lad..  

and stop listening to the diesel junkies on here.

we both know it's a lubricant, not a fuel.
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 14 at 00:52
Nice..

Is the aircon pump doing anything? That can be deleted if not. Even your mk4 AGR will have pressure control on the boost regulation, the valves with vac pipes going to them are egr and the anti shudder flap, engine will run without those and often won't miss the egr on these engines...my missus has one currently at 260000 miles and its never been apart exept cambelts and about a million flywheels.

Better than petrol/solvent powered units...they are obselete now really anyway.
mike1978 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 14 at 19:29
Right - i `ve decided i`m going ot have a go a getting this engine running properly. Its a good low mileage engine which runs nice and smoothly. As someone else said, most of the hard work has been done. At the very least, a properly running engine is easier to sell on and would fetch more money.

So i`ve bought a maf sensor off ebay - my first step is to fit that. I `ve also gone round and checked all the jubilee clips - most were loose or knackered, so they`re all fixed now and tightened. My next question is regarding the turbo. Now i`ve always messed around with NA petrol engines, so these turbo diesels are a bit of a new thing for me, so bear with me!

I`ve borrowed a wifi odbc connector thing which can connect to an app on my phone so i can read the codes and also monitor the engine - hopefully that`ll work.

I`ve done a bit of reading and understand what the waste gate does and the vacuum pipe attached to the standard turbo regulates the opening of it so the boost doesnt get too high.

Should i attempt to connect the boost control valve to the JX KKK turbo? If so, i can`t see any vacuum ports on it - is there a way to connect it up? Does the JX KKK turbo not have the facility to connect a controller up to it and is normally set manually to a set max pressure?

If that is the case, how do i adjust the max boost on the JX KKK turbo?

Should i then just blank off the vaccum pipes on the boost control valve and egr valve to 'trick' them into thinking they are working?

I think thats enough for starters! So i`ll see where i go from here.

I should get chance to take a look at this on sunday.

Cheers, Mike

---------

mike1978 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 14 at 21:05
I`ve also ordered a correct for the engine second hand AGR turbo off the ebay - if its not right for what i want, i can always resell it.

I can only think that running the correct turbo for the engine has got to be a good thing.
---------

monkey magic View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 14 at 21:14

cough mtdi it cough

was going to slip in a solvent comment for Hutch but max beat me to it.

hope you get her running right either way, the 19 tdi s are perfect for these vans.

and i agree about sticking a decent turbo on, i know the jx units work but its a step backwards in my book

mTDI Syncro
mike1978 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 14 at 21:26
is m-tdi sticking on a fuel pump from a non tdi engine? You can then get away with throwing away all the ecu , wiring, etc and also run the throttle cable straight to it?

Or have i got the wrong end of the stick!?
---------

monkey magic View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 14 at 22:08
not so much pump from a non tdi, just non electronic. otherwise yes.  many people assume all tdis are electronic, not so. tdi stands for turbodiesel direct injection, nothing to do with electronics, just about direct injection.
mTDI Syncro
youthy giblets View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 14 at 22:22
Stick with the wiring and try and sort it. If I were you I'd try getting the MAF sorted and lose as many fault codes as you can. Put a proper turbo on it and then if your happy send that big bundle of shite off to Andy and get a pukka loom back in return unless your handy with wiring yourself
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>