The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air leak on my LT35 SDI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toxo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air leak on my LT35 SDI
    Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 12:47
Hi guys.
Last week my T reg LT35 was reluctant to start but it did (was standing for a few days) then on a short trip it died. Got it started after a while but after I got it home it just wouldn't start. Air was evident in the clear pipe coming from the fuel filter. In an effort to check most of the possible culprits I renewed the fuel filter and tightened a couple of connectors. Opened the injector furthest from the front whilst turning it over and eventually it gave a reluctant cough. Did the same with the next injector and it fired up and was left running for twenty mins or so to charge the battery. Cracked all the injectors while it was running. After being turned off for about 10 mins it took a couple of turns before it started (usually starts immediately) so I wasn't convinced we had cured it. Whilst it was running there was an enormous amount of air running up the clear pipe. After being turned off for about 30 mins it wouldn't start until the back injector was bled again.
Can anyone help with where the air is coming from? The clear pipe goes into the "T" piece on top of the fuel filter. On the other side of the "T" piece there's a "Y" joint with one pipe being the returns from the injectors and the other looks like going back to the tank. Is the air coming from outside the system or could it be that the air is trapped in a loop inside the system? Anyone? Please?
camper G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camper G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 14 at 17:02
Hi.  Check the condition of the rubber spill pipes that take over spill back to the filter. Its been known  for air to leak in there.

You can get the pipe at most auto factors. At the same time check the brake vacuum lines. the shiny  nylon ones  split  on the barbed  connections. Its the only safety recall for the LT2 and should have been done but mine was missed. 5  of  the 7 connections were gone  but as they  do not all go together you get used to the lack of assistance. One one MOT it only just scraped through  at  53%  and   I suspected the pump but found the cracks instead.
 Post Reply Post Reply