The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MIG WELDING ADVICE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1994LT35MINIBUSCAMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MIG WELDING ADVICE
    Posted: 06 May 19 at 22:32
Hi folks after some advice RE MIG welder which is kind of essential for an LT1. I'm completely green to welding and need to do the usual welding panel repairs ideally cutting out sections, same on some floor panels and outer sills, and replacing side strut underneath connecting outer sills. Looking at a MIG welder tried a sealey gasless supermig100 and blow holes all over the place on practice sheets. I suspect current doesn't go low enough. Gonna try short spots to stitch cutting wire for clean ends in between, and a better earth clamp. General advice I'm getting is use gas and a MIG with lower current settings any suggestions. All help appreciated even pointing to another post. Cheers Michael
Michael
Tiggerandfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 19 at 07:07
Hi Michael. 

I was new to welding when I got my LT 4 years ago and since then I’ve had plenty of opportunity to use it ! 

I bought a sealey mighty mig 150 gas and gasless . I weld on my drive i find the gas less works well . 

As for blowing holes I blew plenty when I started and just experimented with power settings and wire speed - I found a lower wire speed helps . 

There’s some links to mig welding tutorials on this forum - I found them useful, then it’s just practice practice practice 

Good luck. 

Simon
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 19 at 09:54
You should go and take a look here - https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 19 at 10:20
Originally posted by Titus A Duxass Titus A Duxass wrote:

You should go and take a look here - https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/

Beat me to it.

Definitely recommend you get on there - good information and a very knowledgable group of forum members.
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 19 at 14:53
If you weld to a reasonable standard you will save a fortune.

My gear has been upgraded since the topic was started now have an R-Tec Inverter Mig/Arc.
Can't speak highly enough about R-Tec, gives total control over wire speed, tension and amps, but cost about as much as my LT.

Buy a gas/no gas mig and take up the offer I've posted about BOC gas. Even outdoors you can afford to increase the gas to give more control over the weld.

Read reviews about wire speed & tension gefore you buy as from my experience this is the cause of most problems.
Low amp settings are much more important than high. I bought a cheap arc from lidl to weld angle iron for £40.
Don't try to weld rust you will just blow holes, cut back to good metal.
Remove all underseal etc it burns really really well.
Use gas when possible, good for putting out fires too cos you will get them.
I have a co2 extinguisher on hand too, way cheaper to buy than a new van.
I will not weld without it.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

1994LT35MINIBUSCAMP View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1994LT35MINIBUSCAMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 19 at 23:26
Thanks for the replies really helpful will try https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/ and review http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/welding_topic31585.html. Will post some pics of progress warts and all before I roller in rustoleum. Happy Breezeblocking Michael
Michael
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 19 at 17:08
Gotta be worth a look at the price £22.99 usual 3 year warranty.
Gonna get 1 tomorrow

LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

1994LT35MINIBUSCAMP View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1994LT35MINIBUSCAMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 19 at 20:19
Thanks Andy got one but wish I'd seen this first £12 less than mine. Might get it anyway as it's got the LED in the head and I'm doing a bit underneath. Pliers and magnets look good prob get these.
Michael
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 19 at 21:28
Buy several pairs of wire cutters, almost certain you will be constantly trimming the mig wire.
Once underneath sods law says you can't see them so I take several pairs for convenience.
Forget the magnets, no use at all underneath.
Buy some rare earth magnets, couple of quid from chiwan.
Buy some of these, drill a 3mm hole put one through and it will hold the metal you are welding, simple plud weld to fill the hole. Worth every penny but shop around to buy.

clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 19 at 21:51
Butt welding clamps are useful for panel alignment:

1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 19 at 22:07
Yep got them too but don't use them much.
If you need them then they are worth every penny.

Post Reply Post Reply