The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake warning light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masterchippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake warning light
    Posted: 05 Mar 20 at 15:34
Hi new to the site found lots useful. 
I have a 2006 LT35 that I have converted to camper.
The brake warning light came on so decided to check pads and fluids. At least 6mm pad all round. Fluid is slightly above maximum. Made sure nothing seized and ok and Handbrake fine.
However The warning light is now normally off until I press the brake pedal fairly hard then the light comes on until I release the pressure. Actual braking effect feels normal and stops well. Anybody got a clue before I give in and take it tto garage please.
thanks in advance
Jamie  
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 20 at 18:48
Hi,
My best guess would be a pad sensor is being triggered under pressure, try unplugging them and see if it still happens.
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
masterchippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masterchippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 20 at 10:52
SmileThank you. Thought I had checked all sensors but must have missed passenger rear. When I disconnected it this morning the fault cleared. Now is to find out what as causing. Pads were replaced a month or so ago because of the warning light coming on. Fault cleared but came back about 2 weeks ago with the new pads? Will strip it down this weekend and test the pads. Thanks again
Jamie
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 20 at 18:49
Probably a dodgy sensor,. A new one at eurocarparts is £4.80 with the online discount code.
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masterchippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 20 at 12:31
Replaced sensors all round. The faulty one looked burnt must have got very hot. Cannot believe it was not replaced when the garage did the pads. They must have seen its condition to replace the pads!. Anyway when I bought the van 5 years ago they replaced front discs and pads as part of its MOT (thats a whole other story) on checking the front had no sensors fitted. They have now. Got 4 sensors for £11.50 on ebay. Next job replace glowplugs. Not looking forward to the back one looks awkward.
Anyway thank you for help in pointing me the right way
Jamie
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 20 at 12:14
Glad your sorted.
Yep, changing the glow plugs is a bit fiddly, some long nose pliers will help get the connectors off the rear ones behind the pump. Best with a deep slim socket for the number two plug as it's so tight getting in there with the shape of the cylinder head and the coolant sensor in the way.
Try clean the areas around the plugs before you pull them out, also might be worth getting a bit of penetating fluid in there for a few days before tackling them especially if they've been in there a while. Another bit of advise I would give is to test all your plugs before fitting them and test the leads are giving power on the cold start cylcle with a multimeter, you'll know 100% then that you glow sytem is all good.
Good luck with them.
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masterchippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 20 at 15:34
Took a while to get brave enough after watching youtube talking about sheared plugs ! Any way not as bad as I thought. Still got second plug from the front to do cannot find a way around removing thermostat housing need some coolant before tackling. Tested the plugs and two out of the four totally dead. Had to remove throttle body to get to rear ones and pleased I did. 10 mm of black soot lining the bore. Have a pic but could not find how to upload. Did not run bad before getting 30 to gal but now seems considerably better have to wait till next fill (which at present could be a while). 
Anyway thanks for your help
Jamie
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 20 at 20:45
You can get slimline glow plug sockets from the likes of fleabay, I can get the no.2 plug with a long slim 10mm-1/4 inch drive. If I remember rightly it's the top coolant sensor in the plastic connector that obstructs access, the thermostat housing is just below it. If you remove the whole connector you should replace the seal/o-ring before refitting. Did you clean and check the seat of the egr valve? They can get pretty burnt and pitted causing it not to seal properly giving you a constant flow of exhaust gas and all that lovely extra soot.  
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masterchippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 20 at 16:18
Thanks will have a look and try did seem very close. 
 Post Reply Post Reply