The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Return on fuel filter - do you really need it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Junk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Return on fuel filter - do you really need it?
    Posted: 06 Jul 20 at 15:40
Think you didnt understand me, maybe i didnt explain my question very well.

-I am very sure that the leak is from the plastic t joint thingy which passes the return fuel line thru the filter.

-I already replaced the filter and the plastic thingy but it's still leaking.

-Others on this forum with the same problem have replaced the filter with another one, the same as the one under the wheel arch (only in-out, no return); and bridged the gap in the return fuel line with one of those plastic connectors.

My questions are:

-Has anyone reading done that? How did it affect your cold starting in winter?
-Has anyone solved the same problem in a different way?

I guess you could use a different, aftermarket filter which has a different (less flimsy) in-out for the return line, but i wouldnt know where to start in looking for one.

LT 35 TD from 1995 (ACL engine) with a box truck body
Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 20 at 13:34
Find the leak and fix it. If fuel is leaking out air is likely to be leaking in. The fuel needs to return somewhere.
LT45-TD-ACL-intercooler-4x4-1993
Junk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 20 at 10:43
Theres loads of posts on here about the return thingy on the fuel filter next to the engine.

I mean the little plastic t-shaped thing which passes the return fuel line through the filter, its held in place with an R clip.

Most people who've posted suspect its flimsyness as a source of an air leak - actually I think mine is leaking fuel because there's always a little puddle on top of the filter.

Most people on the forum have been advising to change the filter for the same one as under the wheel arch - i.e. just in-out, no return.

I read that the reason the return line goes back into the filter is to keep supplying warm diesel from the return for starting on cold days. I wonder how much difference that makes.

Has anyone on here swapped the filter for an in-out'er? How did it go starting in winter?

Any alternative suggestions?

Thanks!
LT 35 TD from 1995 (ACL engine) with a box truck body
 Post Reply Post Reply