The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine fault codes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daddio3750 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine fault codes
    Posted: 29 Jul 20 at 21:15
hi. Hope someone could help/ put my mind at ease. We have a 2010 caravelle 2.0 auto. 81,000 miles. Not used it for a few months (lockdown and all that) but when we took out we had the magic engine management light and flashing glow plug gauges light. That was duly traced and accredited to knackered EGR valve (water cooled version). Done by independent and spent 3 happy weeks on the road.  But warning lights are back on. Fault is P032200 engine speed sensor / no speed. Everything point to lower crank sensor. Garage replaced it with 3 different ones. 2 aftermarket and one genuine VW one. Fault would not reset or clear. Wiring harness checked. Nothing found. Engine runs fine and is not timing. Van had to be taken to main dealers and I am terrified of the cost, why be dealerships have such bad reputations and what the end cost / fault may be. If anyone could shed some light I would be most grateful. First time poster so apologies if In wrong place. 
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 20 at 21:52
That code often goes with non-starting or poor starting but not always.  It's probably a broken wire in the loom.  They test and find which one and repair or overlay and new one.

Come back and let us know how it goes.  It's handy to build up a list of the common places where looms fail.  I can't think of one on the 2.0 unless it's the same as here.  http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/fault-code-16706-engine-speed-sensor_topic42285.html ;

Edited by T5 TDI - 29 Jul 20 at 21:53
2004 2.5 174
Daddio3750 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daddio3750 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 20 at 22:07
will do T5. Thanks. That doesn’t sound tooo expensive so fingers crossed. 
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 20 at 22:17
I think that circuit is all under the bonnet (sensor to ECU) so not buried up behind the dash.  Maybe a couple of hours labour or less.  But you never know.  It is even possible for it to be a fault within the engine ECU which is obviously more expensive.  Not so common though.   Good luck!  Smile   

Edited by T5 TDI - 29 Jul 20 at 22:18
2004 2.5 174

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daddio3750 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 20 at 20:56
VAN UPDATE. 
so the VW dealership called. I am told that they reset the fault codes and took the van for a spin. It faulted straight away for them but they are adamant that it says EGR valve. I explained that it was changed 3 weeks ago- but is a pattern one from euro car parts and not an OE VW one. They are insistent. So I have given the go ahead with the caveat being that if they don’t fix it and if the fault I thought it had reappears, then I am allowed to be very very cross!  I have also spoken to my original repair garage and they are very sorry and are making arrangements to return the euro parts one under warranty and want to refund me all my costs. I don’t hold them responsible for faulty parts and that they are prepared to refund everything is a sign of integrity. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daddio3750 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 20 at 18:25
van is home. 
Main dealers replaced the non OE EGR valve, that’s all and 50 miles in it is running fine and dandy. So fingers crossed.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 20 at 05:41
Originally posted by Daddio3750 Daddio3750 wrote:

van is home. 
Main dealers replaced the non OE EGR valve, that’s all and 50 miles in it is running fine and dandy. So fingers crossed.

Hopefully the fix will stay fixed this time  Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply