The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sliding door won't open

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Profsparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sliding door won't open
    Posted: 02 Sep 21 at 16:12
Hi All

'04 Caravelle 173 TDI, nearside (passenger) sliding door won't open.

Central locking moves the inside plunger up and down, there's a faint click as the inside or outside handle is pulled, but the rear of the door won't release.

Can the interior trim be removed with the door closed, or is there a way to 'manually' lever the door open?

Cheers
Steve
'04 174PS SE
912 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 21 at 18:05
you can pull the trim off and manually pull the rods to open the door 
Profsparks View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Profsparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 21 at 19:00
I've tried pulling the trim off, but it's held in by the door being closed.

I need the door open to take the trim off to pull the rods to open the door...

There's a song about a bucket in here somewhere dear Liza
'04 174PS SE
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 21 at 20:58
Fraid so.  Either Dear Liza or Catch 22 applies. :-)  

The main thing with stuck locks is to try and limit damage.  It may not be possible.  If your door is double locked then you may not be able to simply move rods inside to unlock even after wrecking the trim to get at the lock.  I would definitely spend time using any tips you can find here and elsewhere about opening a locked door.  Diagnostics might help and it's worth a try but if the problem within the lock itself you might end up getting brutal anyway.  You can buy many used trim parts fairly cheaply online if it comes to it.  Good luck and keep us updated. :-)    
2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 21 at 05:43
Sometimes repeatedly thumping (hard) the door near the lock actuator (try both inside and then outside) while simultaneously pressing the unlock button on the remote can unlock a stuck door.  It's worth trying anyway, before wrecking stuff to get access.

Edited by gregozedobe - 03 Sep 21 at 05:44
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Profsparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 21 at 11:01
Hi All

Progress of sorts!

This was the first piece off, the plunger top snapped from the rod like it was designed that way, will fix that later

I was then able to detach the leading edge of the window blinds

And gradually wrangle the trim away so I could get my hand inside to where the catch was, and activate the lever using a sacrificial finger

The door opened, and the rest of the trim came off without losing too many retaining clips.

Seems the end of the release cable has frayed and come adrift from the catch, so all (!) I need to do is extend/replace the cable.

To do that I need to remove the catch from the door by unbolting it.

Would someone point me in the right direction as to what head and size these are, and possibly where I might get a driver for them?

I'm hoping I won't need a robot arm or air hammer to get them out...

Cheers
Steve
'04 174PS SE
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Profsparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 21 at 17:06
Hi All

Nearly fixed, nearly.

I borrowed a multi-spline bit from my local garage (BIG shout out to Cartech) and got the catch out.

Could it be this?

A quick connection by the inside of a terminal block

And the catch reattached with something a little more mainstream

Now all I have to do is figure out why the main locking gubbins doesn't reset once the door opens.

The two cables going to it are held back, almost like a sliding switch isn't sliding, so the hook onthe bottom of the door doesn't catch on the staying open point.

More investigation needed later, but at least I can get in and out now!

Cheers
Steve

'04 174PS SE
 Post Reply Post Reply