The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFuelling problems - 2.4 diesel = might sell

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuelling problems - 2.4 diesel = might sell
    Posted: 18 Jul 10 at 12:22
at last - found somewhere that has some knowledgable LT35 people..!

i'm having a bit of a struggle with the van - its registration H*** GLY, 1990 LT35 LWB, looks like a home conversion (very tidy), tinted stealth windows and an odd bottom hinge mod to the rear doors, was blue and has been resprayed metallic grey - pic:

i've had it a couple of years but heres the problem. back in january i took it out for a spin - all was well until a gradual loss of power over a few miles, a stall (managed to restart) but then conked out all together. a great RAC man came to the rescue and checked things over - no fuel to the injectors..

the van has sat a bit whilst i steeled myself to attempt the repairs which i had a crack at yesterday. i've replaced the fuel filters (is it usual to have two?) - the one under the passenger wheel arch, and the under the injector pump, and also fitted one of those rubber bulb priming pumps. also i've put in a new air filter and replaced the very knackered spill pipes (those short lengths that go from injector to injector). so far, i couldnt get a good seal onto the new inner filter (theres fuel in connection, fuel out connection and another bit held onto the filter with an R clip) - when squeezing the primer pump i could hear a slight sucking noise at this other bit, so put the old one back on - no sucking noise on priming but loads of air now. i've removed the banjo bolt from the injector pump and have been trying to pump through into a diesel can (have no idea if this is the best way)

heres some questions
- i'll check the connections i've fiddled with again today to make sure theyre tight and try priming again = presume i'm doing this right?
- if the injector pump has dies, then can it be refurbished? price wise, what does a replacement cost? where from?
- is there anything else that sends the fuel from the tank that could be knackered, or does the injecter pump both suck and pump?
- the starter motor sounds very tired (reasonable battery, btw) - maybe theres just not enough oomph to get it going again?
- if anyone recognises the van i'd love to know some history - i'm in northumberland and bought the van from a fella in sunderland who knew very little about it in march 2008

if anyone has any sage advice or is happy to tell me i'm stoopid and am doing things wrong then let me know..

Mike

Edited by blue_pig - 07 Nov 10 at 17:24
1990 LT35 high top LWB stealth windowed drawbridge doored
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 10 at 09:47
Right, I'll try and help you with what I can…

The injector pump does both suck and pump so you are right in that assumption. I believe there should be a length of clear pipe from the inner fuel filter (the one in the wheelarch is a water trap) to the pump - can you see air bubbles in that pipe? Sometimes replacing hoses temporarily with a length of clear pipe can show exactly where air is getting in.

Have you checked the stop solenoid on top of the fuel pump, both for a 12V ignition supply and also that the internal plunger has not either broken up or stuck in the closed position. I think 27mm spanner to remove - access is slightly awkward. In an emergency you can remove the plunger completely but if the engine does start you will need to stall it to stop it!

My LT had a small leak in one of the pump seals so after a lay up it would struggle to prime itself. What I did was rig up the fuel tank from my lawnmower as a gravity feed tank direct to the pump. Your rubber bulb method will help priming but a gravity feed will probably be better - even a funnel on a hose! I've now replaced quite a few seals in the pump, which had far too many complicated bits inside for my liking...fortunately I must have put it back together reasonably OK as it still works!

The slow starter could just be poor connections (earth or positive). Are any getting warm to the touch? Hopefully a bit of food for thought above - let us know how you get on.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Ayrshore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 10 at 11:44
Yes, some LTs have two 'filters' - my first one did.

Did you fill both filters with fuel prior to attempting to start?

These things are a bit of a nightmare to get going once they're out of fuel - there's no primer, or electric lift pump - you just need to turn it till it goes, and if the fuel filter(s) are empty, that could take longer than the battery will last!
bushbandit View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 10 at 19:53
I got my diesel pump recond at diesel bob's, cost 450, it was sucking in air from worn seals, runs like a dream now.  The solenoid on the pump went the other wknd, that cost 20 to replace
1985 LT31 LWB 2.4D, Diamond RV custom conversion, with all the whistles and bangs!!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 10 at 19:57
Yeah, I got my seal kit from Diesel Bob too - cost £38 for more seals than you could shake a stick at! Didn't use all of 'em but from the work needed to totally strip and rebuild a pump I'd say that £450 doesn't seem too bad.
blue_pig View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 10 at 20:48
yep, filled both filters and pumped like mad - theres bubbles in the clear pipe so tried slackening off a couple of injectors to let the air out, but no real effect - the beast ever so nearly fired (either that or it was my optimism) - got the battery on charge again, will check what I can find - good tip about checking earths and power connections on the starter = thankyou. one more chance at the weekend. i'll try to find and check the solenoid too - does it just have a thin wire/s to it to help me find it..?

you've got me thinking now that I shouldn't trust my fuel gauge... maybe I just ran out of diesel...
pretty sure theres fuel in there - can hear bubbling when pumping..

another quickie - any suggestions on where to get the 80mm cold air ducting to feed the air filter? my auto shop can't get any and i'm a bit loathe to pay £20 on ebay for ram air ducting
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 10 at 22:39
Yes, it has a single thinish wire to it, usually to a screwed on spade connection on the top.

To improve the battery life and increase the cranking speed, you could take out as many glow plugs as possible until you get a spray of diesel at the injectors. Make sure the feed wire can't short out against anything though!
blue_pig View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 10 at 21:28
cool - thanks, roll on the weekend Smile
blue_pig View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 10 at 17:10
managed another look - pumped and pumped with the rubber bulb, topped up the tank with some fresh and it ever so nearly fired - battery not lasting though, and a very hot earth. next job to clean that up and try with as bigger jump start as I can muster. the pump draws fuel through when cranking so fingers crossed its OK
blue_pig View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 10 at 17:28
still not had a chance to sort this yet - got me wondering how much it might be worth? i'm really struggling with time and lack of facilities to work on this (outside in a muddy carpark).

Its a great van for pootling around in and the interior is very tidy.. all matching upholstery and cooker/sink/fridge/kingsize bed/cupboards.. i'll try to get it sorted but if anyones appetite is whetted then let me know
canny bagga Tudor View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 10 at 07:30
Is the van in the uk?  I know somebody who might be interested, so a rough idea of what part of the country it's in would be useful.

Cheers

Tony
1993, LT31, 2.4 petrol (with a 1E engine), lwb, camper conversion project.
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 10 at 13:02

CBT, it says in the first post that he's in northumberland.

Edited by BeJay - 20 Nov 10 at 13:04
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
canny bagga Tudor View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 10 at 17:43
Originally posted by BeJay BeJay wrote:

CBT, it says in the first post that he's in northumberland.

Doh!  Thanks BeJay, I missed that bit!

Tony
1993, LT31, 2.4 petrol (with a 1E engine), lwb, camper conversion project.
blue_pig View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 10 at 20:40

yep - the vans in amble NE65, it'll be at least another week until i can have another go, so might consider offers - van is clean, tidily converted and solid otherwise, looks like it was undersealed by the last owner, and even if i can get it going there'd be a fair chance i'd move it on come the spring for something smaller thats more suitable as a daily driver - T4 maybe. the annoying thing is it'll be something real simple to get it going

mike
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 10 at 18:29
I had a similar problem to you and it was the fuel solenoid stopper....

It did sound like it was 'trying' to start but it wasn't really...

But yeah, feed it 12v (even direct from the battery as a temporary bodge) and see if it makes any difference.

If you can see fuel goin up through the pipes, though - it means that you may have an issue. Have you tried cracking the injectors one by one and seeing if any of them have any fuel?
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
- 1984 Volvo/VanHool Alizee
ringonotts View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 10 at 19:23
Top tip to prime a diesel pump - remove the banjo from the "outlet" of the pump while cranking it (or priming it). Just make sure your quick to put it back on when the engine fires up as it goes everywhere....

Ringo
Huge big LT Florida - its slow but its a Westie!
blue_pig View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 10 at 21:28
thanks for the advice - last time i tried it there was fuel and bubbles moving through the clear section of pipe into the pump.  I ran out of battery and daylight to loosen the injector pipes though.

the "to do" list is clean the earths, check/replace the solenoid then give it a crank. i've a bit of a stockpile of batteries to boost things - we'll see how it goes.  cranking is sooooo slow even with fresh battery and a jump start - any other tips about this - what about just taking out the glowplugs altogether? or just the glowplug relay? might as well stick some new glow plugs in anyway as part of the tinkering.

would anyone recommend any online/mail order parts places - the hours i'm doing means i keep missing the local auto parts shop - would help a great deal.. those internet searches usually end up somewhere like partsgateway or similar breakers - for stuff like this i'd prefer to cross things off the list by swapping in new bits and a solenoid wont break the bank.

you can probably appreciate i'm not so hot with the spanners  Confused

Edited by blue_pig - 23 Nov 10 at 21:38
blue_pig View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 11 at 18:33
OK - some progress = the beast lives and fires up but air is still a problem..

new fuel solenoid in, the hand primer pump I fitted had a leaky diaphragm and I think I've isolated the problem - its the connector on the top if the fuel filter - mine is yellow and held in by an R clip. I think that is the source of the leak as it feels a bit loose. could just be a new rubber washer but think I'll replace that for meace of mind.

any idea of online suppliers  / part numbers for this? i figure it will be generic?

also, a potential buyer has cropped up and offered me £1200 as long as he can drive it away (still SORN and no MOT) so a reasonable offer

Edited by blue_pig - 15 May 11 at 18:35
 Post Reply Post Reply