The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLT35 Engine Change Saga!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT35 Engine Change Saga!!!
    Posted: 16 Nov 06 at 20:21

recently completed an engine change in my 1986 VWLT35

OUT: 2.4 / Petrol 6 cylinder / 4-gear box
IN:
(130k) 2.4 Turbo / Diesel 6 straight / 5-gear box (and i used the prop from the donor van too)

wow... learning curve or what!!!! haha...

anyway...

that was about 4 months work (juggling a few other projects too!)...

almost at the stage where i MOT the beasty and work on the cosmetics!! I love the chunkyness of the LTs... they kick... but the petrol engine was way too fuel guzzling... i swear in the 6 years of use of the petrol engine, i could sometimes see the guage going down!!! I spose its my love for the van body that made me want to keep it!! And the desire for an educational experience made me want to do the engine change!!! I got that for sure!!

anyway... cant help rambling.... and im holding back... i mean there is soo much i could go into on this subject!! have been looking for a forum like this for a while.... those funky LTs seem to have been missed by many... and so this LT specific forum is quite rare i think!!! heh...

so... my main question here is:

- given that i have gone from a 4 speed gearbox to a 5 speed... there are some gear ratio differences.... and i didnt know this before i took on the project!! (i was no mechanic then... reluctant one now!!)... so whats my best way forward?... i really dont want to change the whole axle (i dont really have access to the donor vehicle anymore - although may have access to the prop & gearbox from the petrol one...

... would anyone be able to advise me of what wheels i may be able to use to increase performance? In 5th gear the turbo kicks in way too readily at about 48 - 55mph (and the speedo could be out a bit as well i spose)!!! *maybe i could be just whimping out on pushing her... i mean theres definitely more punch in the engine... its just at the time i was worried that i wasnt accessing 5th gear (because although i changed the gearbox... i didnt change the selector or gear stick!!! haha) and seeing as this was one of the only runs in about two years that the diesel engine had been given, i was cautious. (I have since discovered that it is 1st gear i dont have access to - unless i push down the gearstick and left and back!!!).

Anyway, I currently have twin rear wheels with 6 studs... i will post the current size in a day or so (but its safe to say they ARE the small and standard ones... heh!!!)... any ideas??? any knowledge???

its been a pain also because i havnt been able to get a workshop manual for the beast... Apparently Haynes never did one!!!

oh so many stories of learning about this vehicle!! but anyway... peace all... hope to interact again soon...

mulch...

Edited by mulch
mulch View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 06 at 12:41

ok... the current tyres on the rear (twin wheels) are 185 R14s (102/100N)

I guess I am just going to have to shop for some larger tyres....

anyone advise me against R16s??

I'm finding it hard to discover any info online that might shed light on this issue. Any experiences anyone??

mulch :]

LT35_Leigh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 06 at 16:06
I'm on 205x14 on mine as they were on the truck when I got it - Continentals.

Personally - I think changing wheels and tyre sizes - is more often cosmetic than useful.

Leigh...
mike38 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 06 at 17:28
195x14 did have 205x14 on the back the 185/195/205 only relates to the width so would not alter your gearing do the later lt's wheels fit ?i dont need first gear so would be good to find a bigger wheel and tyre to give a little more top end .

Mike
mulch View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 06 at 20:11

unfortunately the donor LT had wheels with 5 studs. This LT has 6 studs...

hmmmm well it seems i will need to get larger 6-stud wheels (and tyres) than these R14s and naturally larger overall diameter will result.

(i am assuming that 14 is the diameter of the wheel itself minus tyre)

dammit.... im wondering whats going to be less hassle/money.... replacing the diff... replacing the axle... or a new set of wheels and tyres....

i need help!!!!

peace... m:]

AndyVan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
BCS Capt'n.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 06 at 21:59
....swapping the rear axle is one of the easeier jobs on an LT bud!!...no really!!!...go for it...I managed it on my own including swapping all the brakes in a day comfortabely no probs!!...
BCS Gaffer and Volkswagen restoring bloke
mulch View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 07 at 21:16
well well well....

this saga... is indeed an epic journey of discovery!!!

i will probably post some piccys of the whole thing within a few weeks... but to summarise, I now have a fully functioning LT35!!!

passed MOT with mostly flying colours!!!

Big pats on my back!!!!

Critical things remaining include rigging up the glow plugs properly (currently manually connecting wire to battery + for 15 seconds!!!
ALso, I really need an oil pressure guage and temperature guage (currently neither... not good because I really need to diagnose as I go...)

Anyway... apart from gibbering excitedly, I guess I really want to ask whether anyone experiences tapping sound from LT engines (this one an '87 2.4 diesel turbo 6 cyl.). Could it be that it is low on oil???

The final thing i did before the mot was to flushed the engine with engine flush product and change the oil... hmmm... somehow the whole thing got a bit noisier after that (sounds like a regular but intermittent tapping as in tappits sound...).... im kicking myself... almost wish i would have left the gunk in there!!! anyway.... i have filled up oil again with 5L synthetic oil (15w40).... but am not sure whether there is enough in there.. as i am finding the reading to be wierd (sometimes seems like theres nothing on the dip stick... or just a tiny bit...).... any advice??? I am just going to get some more oil to add a bit more.... the sound is a bit distressing.... am not liking the possibility of damaging the heads....

anyway...
thanks in advance...

Womboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 07 at 22:39

Hi there, you need 7 litres of oil to fill that big engine up completely.  6 litres if you don't change the filter. Hope that helps with the noise.

mulch View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 07 at 23:10

many thanks Womboy.... hmmm.... i am considering two things now...

1 - is synthetic oil ok (at 15w40)

2 - i have probably run it about 70 miles on 5 litres.... rekon i could have done some permanent damage???

just a little paranoid.... need any tips i can get!!!

u know... fixing this van up has been a serious highlight of my life!!!

its like a baby!! and i MUST realise that it wont last forever.... but LTs are such great vehicles... this one HAS TO LIVE!!!

er.... anyway....

Post Reply Post Reply