The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Useful threads.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLHD Mirrors on a RHD van

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: LHD Mirrors on a RHD van
    Posted: 10 Jul 07 at 20:30

Ive just fitted my lhd mirrors on my van and have been told there is a way to convert them to work on here.  Does anyone have a link as I cant find the thread? Thanks in advance

Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 07 at 20:35

Found it.....well the important bit anyway.

Originally posted by Mick Mick wrote:

Take the base off and using a dremel type tool grind the tabs on the base to about half their size,bit more even.
You only need to do it on the nearside one and make sure you grind it off the correct side to allow the mirror to come inwards.
The offside one will stay out if you tighten the nut in the base
Once you have a good look at em it'll make sense and once the base is off you'll see what I mean.

yan c View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 07 at 19:16
Cheers Steve I'll get it done tomorrow.
TRUNDLETRUC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 07 at 22:28

I have just converted a LHD pair to RHD.

First file off the lugs on the mountings so that the mirror holders can be positioned at any angle.

Put them on the van and adjust the holders, with the mirror plates in the central position so that in your normal driving position the holders are set correctly.

Mark the mounting and holder with a line to show their relationship.

Take the holder and mounting apart.

Cut 6 peices off the end of a 6mm dia bar. (I used stainless steel but brass, steel will work.) Each peice needs to be about 3mm long making a small disc.

Three of these discs can now be put in the notches inside one of the mirror holders. (They are about the same size as the tops of the lugs you previously filed off.)

Put a dap of paint on the top of each of these and replace the mirror mounting into the holder with the lines you made, showing the correct relationship between holder and mounting, correctly aligned.

The paint will mark the positions on the mountings that have to be filed with a 6mm round file to accept the other half of the discs.

Carefully check how far you file down by checking the two parts together, as the mirror holders previously rested on top of the lugs. They do not sit on the flat part of the mountings. They therefore have now to sit on top of the discs. That is why there are three of them.

When a clearance fit has been acheived and the springs replaced and fully tightened, you will find your LHD mirrors will now be RHD with all the features of the LHD. Meaning they will fold in and out and lock in the correct position as before.

Incidentally, when you are using the 6mm round file to make the locations for the discs there is no need to have the file at a right angle to the mounting. Just file so that it clears the other side. (You will see what I mean when you do it!)

Reading through this it sounds a bit complicated but is dead easy to do. No need to put in ball bearings and additional springs or file bits off the back of the mirrors etc. and they look as VW whould have intended.

Keep looking backwards!

Trundletruc
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 07 at 01:34
Originally posted by TRUNDLETRUC TRUNDLETRUC wrote:

I have just converted a LHD pair to RHD.

First file off the lugs on the mountings so that the mirror holders can be positioned at any angle.

Put them on the van and adjust the holders, with the mirror plates in the central position so that in your normal driving position the holders are set correctly.

Mark the mounting and holder with a line to show their relationship.

Take the holder and mounting apart.

Cut 6 peices off the end of a 6mm dia bar. (I used stainless steel but brass, steel will work.) Each peice needs to be about 3mm long making a small disc.

Three of these discs can now be put in the notches inside one of the mirror holders. (They are about the same size as the tops of the lugs you previously filed off.)

Put a dap of paint on the top of each of these and replace the mirror mounting into the holder with the lines you made, showing the correct relationship between holder and mounting, correctly aligned.

The paint will mark the positions on the mountings that have to be filed with a 6mm round file to accept the other half of the discs.

Carefully check how far you file down by checking the two parts together, as the mirror holders previously rested on top of the lugs. They do not sit on the flat part of the mountings. They therefore have now to sit on top of the discs. That is why there are three of them.

When a clearance fit has been acheived and the springs replaced and fully tightened, you will find your LHD mirrors will now be RHD with all the features of the LHD. Meaning they will fold in and out and lock in the correct position as before.

Incidentally, when you are using the 6mm round file to make the locations for the discs there is no need to have the file at a right angle to the mounting. Just file so that it clears the other side. (You will see what I mean when you do it!)

Reading through this it sounds a bit complicated but is dead easy to do. No need to put in ball bearings and additional springs or file bits off the back of the mirrors etc. and they look as VW whould have intended.

Keep looking backwards!

And i thought Mick's way was a little bit drawn out????

Edited by g60steve
MADMATT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

twin turbo taff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 07 at 23:12
once done its worth swaping the mirrors lenses left to right right to left as the lenses have a different profile.
 Post Reply Post Reply