The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVW LT Owners Club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 10 at 16:11

Hi all I'm new here but it looks like I've found these forums at the right time.. I'm the proud owner of a LT35 2.4 diesel (1995)....I want to convert it to use as a home for a while - I never did like caravans!

Just need to restore my '67 split screen first then maybe I can say something useful Clap
LT 35 2.4 diesel owner...only 33,000 miles on the clock but plenty on mine.
Big Purple View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 10 at 22:38
I've got an LT35 2.5 1996 TDi, all mod cons, including shower/toilet/oven/g.c.h. - I love her to bits. Yeah I've spent about £900 on her since august but it's so worth it. I really want to get a new engine and was wondering if anyone clever out there knows HOW BIG CAN I GO? Don't mind strengthening the chassis, getting disc brakes but I'm new to this world. I want more bhp, more top speed, less engine heat if possible.
A volvo 740 is a good standard replacement, but I bet there's way better. Anyone?

'96 LT35 TD 2.4 Camper conversion, Skoda Fabia 1.9 TDi 2003    
ZUB View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

early morning troll

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 10 at 23:49
Originally posted by Big Purple Big Purple wrote:

I've got an LT35 2.5 1996 TDi, all mod cons, including shower/toilet/oven/g.c.h. - I love her to bits. Yeah I've spent about £900 on her since august but it's so worth it. I really want to get a new engine and was wondering if anyone clever out there knows HOW BIG CAN I GO? Don't mind strengthening the chassis, getting disc brakes but I'm new to this world. I want more bhp, more top speed, less engine heat if possible. 
A volvo 740 is a good standard replacement, but I bet there's way better. Anyone? 

Jam-man may have the answer..........

www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/ford-powered-lt_topic52891.html 

I'm a bell end
funky_monkey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 10 at 10:03
hi. i have just fineshed putting a volvo lump in mine. i am now soo happy with it but it has cost me about 3500 to rebuild the whole thing and i fitted it my self, it isn`t straight forward, but if your practical and have the time, go for it, the power differance is amazine from the original 24 non turbo at 65 bhp now its 115 bhp and a dream to drive. the problem is finding one that isn`t worn out if your not goin to rebuild, i was only rebuilding the lump at first but like opening a can of worms, i`ve done the diesel pump, turbo, new head, new sump, clutch, glow plugs, sports filter, it all add`s up but well worth it, i know "drunken master" had trouble with a guy fitting his but now i`ve done mine i can say, it`s not an easy task!
gasgas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 10 at 12:56
I've got some bits left over from owning a LT28 2.0 litre petrol camper. For example I have a new radiator and new clutch complete. Obviously I don't want to throw them away so do you lot have any suggestions as to what I should do with them?
petergeeky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 10 at 17:33
List them for sale in the Autojumble section on here - note that the rules say you must include a price and  Ebay links are not allowed. Then put a link in the LT section to notify the LT gang that you've listed them for sale. Photo's always help.

I have a few bits myself, that I'm going to list when I get around to it!

Cheers,
Peter.
gasgas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 10 at 18:09
Thanks Peter, I'll do that.
gasgas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 10 at 18:15
Hey Peter, I've just noticed you have an LT by Youngs conversions. That's amazing. I used to go to camper show weekends when I was selling reversing sensors, and often met with the Youngs. If it is what I remember, the quality of the workmanship was quite outstanding. Far too good for a van. Does it have curved polished wooden panels, and generally quite exquisite construction quality? If so I'd love to see a picture of the interior. It is possible that I have slept in it - at one show we sold our camper and the Youngs let us sleep in theirs for a night.
We didn't buy one because we concluded that although it was a VW LT van, the camper conversion was so good that it would still be in good nick when the VW was a pile of rust. I seem to remember that Mr Young was an ocean liner cruise ship cabinet maker before taking up camper conversions.
petergeeky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 10 at 22:59
Hi,

I've actually sold my camper now - hence I have a few spares I need to dispose of. But yes, you're right it was well built. Not quite ocean liner standard, and no curved panels to speak of - the builders of mine are still going, doing one-off conversions of customers' vans. Maybe there were two Youngs, but certainly mine was more solidly built than your typical mass produced caravan or camper (UK built, that is - we've bought a Hymer, which is streets ahead of UK caravans). I don't really have many internal pics, although there were some on my for sale listing which was posted in the Autojumble section.

Must delete the script from my posts now I've sold it!

Regards,
Peter.
Tazz-man View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 10 at 14:28
SmileHello guys and Girls

I 'm really sorry I have put my Van on ebay about 5 times resently but I keep taking it off because I have not got the heart to sell her. So sorry to all those who wanted to buy or just see what she went for. I had just under 60 watchers and one or two of you from brick-yard contacted me about her.

I have now finaly desided to keep her after spending 100's on her. I am now looking for any meet ups that are happing soon for brick-yard and hopeing to attend some of them.

I want to say a big thank you to those of you that helped me get her back on the road and I look forward to see some of you soon.

Thanks
Wink

Tazz-man VW LT 31, 1981-82, Y Reg, HighTop Homebuilt Camper
rufse View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 10 at 22:50
[QUOTE=funky_monkey]hi. i have just fineshed putting a volvo lump in mine. i am now soo happy with it but it has cost me about 3500 to rebuild the whole thing and i fitted it my self, it isn`t straight forward, but if your practical and have the time, go for it, the power differance is amazine from the original 24 non turbo at 65 bhp now its 115 bhp and a dream to drive./QUOTE]

Nice. I planned same thing. But do u have more details? Pic from the work? U said Volvo lump? U mean Volvos 760 TD (D24TIC)? As far I can see, I can use a Volvo 760 TD(109 bhp) from 1986 as a donor. Or better, just putting it in (maybee with some adjustments)? Or are I'm just lost here?

Vw LT 1981 Westfalia Sven Hedin High Roof

VW 4 ever ! ! !

rufse View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 10 at 23:47
I think I go for Volvo's V70 (-99) energine; 2,4 TDI 150 hk...hopefully it ran next year on semester around in Europe. Thumbs Up

Vw LT 1981 Westfalia Sven Hedin High Roof

VW 4 ever ! ! !

Renstock View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 10 at 17:12
Hi all, Just found this thread now and i must say that i would also love to join a new LT club or group or anything that.
 I don't really have anything to bring to the table in the way of skill or knowhow or in fact anything to do with being in a club as i never have been before.
 But i am now the proud owner of an LT28 on an F plate. Found it on this very website!! I have been out in her nearly every weekend since so i would love a place that we could chat about and swap ideas and help eachother out.
If there is anything i can do let me know.

Peace, Kelly.
T4 TDI.
flanagantom View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 20:21
Sign me up..Ive just got my VW LT Florida 2 months now , ive been to France/Germany and back absolutely loving it, if theres a club I'm in it. I think its becoming an unhealthy obsession, although it was like that the last year as I scoured the internet accross europe daily for the Florida of my dreams... anyway Ive got it now and already need a part , any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated. VW LT 28 , 2.4 diesel , 1990, Florida. I'm looking for a power steering box if anyone can help.. I've been told its leaking ..wondering if there is any way to repair or seal such a leak? seem unfortunate to have to replace it. thanks
Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314