The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Useful threads.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2.1 Thermostat mod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vag_glen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.1 Thermostat mod
    Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 21:01
Ok as some of you may know the 2.1 stat housing is no longer avaliable from VW, I now know theres a company in the states, but I've done a mod on mine using the 1.9 stat housing, It does involve a little welding, but nothing major, So here we go with the pictures.

The standard 2.1 housing with outlet for oil cooler,

Now the brand new housing from JK for 55 quid,

Ok the welding that's required is to make an outlet on the metal water pipe than runs from the water pump to thermostat housing,

Metal pipe in standard form,

And with metal outlet drilled and welded on,

All that was required next was to run a piece of new coolant hose from the metal pipe than runs along the top of the cylinder head from the oil cooler around the back of the stat housing and then onto the new outlet you've just welded onto the metal pipe.
And that's your lot, job done, This has been done on my bus for just over a year with no problems at all.
I may have waited and ordered the correct housing from the states, but my vans a daily driver and I needed it back on the road quick time.
Hope this may help anyone else with the same problem in the futureSmile.

Glen.

Edited by vag_glen - 19 Sep 10 at 21:16
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 21:33
Moved to useful threads Glen.Thumbs Up
supersh*tbus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supersh*tbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 09 at 10:02
Coolio, nice one

Matt

Poof with a Profi

50 posts a year man
busboy1303 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busboy1303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 09 at 16:19
Nice one. Wish I'd thought of that or spotted this post a couple of months ago. I went down the mail order from the states route. Took ages to arrive, cost an arm and a leg and got stung for a load of import duty once it landed.
T3 batman aust View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 batman aust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 09 at 10:14
Thank you very much for this mod,i have rung just about all of my suppliers in Eastern Australia chasing a couple of these housings over the last couple of days with the same result,I just have to hope the 1.9 units are still available. Cheers Les
 Post Reply Post Reply