The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"WET FLOOR"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Tetchy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE WONDER BUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "WET FLOOR"
    Posted: 14 Dec 09 at 19:25
Found leek,part of corner peice where windscreen sits completely rotten about 2 inches past the corner,how easy is it to remove screen,and how,also whats best way to fix??
1994 Westfalia Florida "BIG Z"
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 09 at 11:34
It's easy to remove the screen - sharp knife through the rubber seal, sit back on the seat and push with your feet! The best solution to the problem depends on how long you want to keep the van for…fibreglass is IMO a temporary repair (few years perhaps) but if you want to keep it long term welding in new metal is the way to go.

I took my screen out a few year ago as I had a tiny rust hole at each buttom corner, and a chipped screen. Everyone warned me that the windscreen bottom lip would have corroded away too, but it seems I was lucky as the lip was pristine. Welded up the holes, Galvafroid all over the lip and then in with the new screen and seal. That was an absolute nightmare!

I couldn't do it, so I phoned up a windscreen fitter who tried for a hour and gave up (to his credit he didn't charge me for his time) but Autoglass managed it with a lot of heaving. The non high top models are apparently easier according to the guy who managed it - he'd worked on many LT ambulances so knew the tricks to get it in...

Edited by mat_the_cat - 15 Dec 09 at 11:35
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
THE WONDER BUS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Tetchy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE WONDER BUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 09 at 20:05

Thanks for that,Im keeping hold of van so Proper jobs  the way forward,As the van has had a recent respray i was avoiding "The Filler Look",But its been bodged so im gonna start all over,thought it were going to be ready for spring,No Way!!,But as the Wife says its a project!!,Thanks for info will update as i go !!

1994 Westfalia Florida "BIG Z"
 Post Reply Post Reply