The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine ticking --- Vacum Pump ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsierra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine ticking --- Vacum Pump ?
    Posted: 02 Jul 10 at 22:33
As the title says....

My 54 plate lt 35 has developed a slight ticking noice which is intermitent Confused
I have been told that it could be the Vacum Pump and that it is a "Nown Fault" . Cry

Anyone know of it ??Wink

If it is that, were and how much is this going to cost ...please

Regards
Ian

jajoinery View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jajoinery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 10 at 22:23
hi ian, id say you were told correct, i have a 1999 2.5tdi and only yesterday got it back from dealership,had new vaccum pump due to ticking noise.. price for part alone £116.80.
hope this helps.regards, jamie
BANANABUS View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
More Like BanBus!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANANABUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 10 at 22:51
pump the brake pedal when its making the noise
if the noise goes then its the pump

you can just buy the new rod for the pump think its about £17 ish Wink

Committed To Famine Relief. Last Week I Sucked Off An Ethiopian

I'm Not Arguing,I'm Explaining Why I Am Right

yellowsierra View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsierra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 10 at 23:28
Originally posted by BANANABUS BANANABUS wrote:

pump the brake pedal when its making the noise
if the noise goes then its the pump

Wink

Cheers dude and if it don't go away ???
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 10 at 09:17
if its still 'ticking' then un bolt the pump (think its 3 nuts) and start her up , if its still ticking then its not the pump , if its not ticking then it is pump..

BTW there are a few second hand ones on ebay at the moment
LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

jajoinery View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jajoinery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 10 at 18:39
just out of intrest, where is the vaccum pump? anyone have a digram? and out of curiosity if the tickin noise isnt the pump, what would it be? cheers
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 11:49
You sure the problem isn't lifters? Mine ticked a lot and then I replaced them.Tic gone.

Mike
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsierra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 16:45
Yep, its deffo the Pump which is good i think !! as at least i know what to do and go on the hunt for a pump as they are not cheap
Confused
When ticking shows up sometimes when i pull up i simply pump the brake peddle a few times and it goes awayEmbarrassed
So far i have found a new pump for £150 and the rod it a score unless anyone knows betterLOL i which case get on to me as i would be interested to knowClap
Just had dead locks fitted so the spends are spent this monthCry
Regards
Ian
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 23:05
Speaking of the pump, is it always the rod that goes. What about the two small check valves. Could the springs be weak? I am still driving around without any vacuum assist on the brakes.

Mike
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsierra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 10 at 17:24
HHmmm  I could change the rod first as its only a score and take it from there...good point thank you

Regards
Ian
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsierra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 10 at 17:55
Well i get the Pump and Rod changed and i am happy to report that it is now happily purring away without that nasty ticking noise.
Simple two bolt job was all it was and i must say, it looked like the Rod was the most worn item but both are changed now .
I got the Pump for a guy on eBay after getting a shock on how much they are from VW Confused
Anyway, if anyone wants/needs one, then here's the link to the guy.
I ordered it and got the very next day via courier service so he comes very recomended. The rod i got from a factors as they are only a score
Here's the link

Regards
Ian
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 10 at 21:37
I went to a breaker yard (as you call it, we call them auto recyclers) and got one from a T4 (I think as it was out of the truck when I got it, and they don't sell the LT in North America) for $20. Works great.

Mike
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsierra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 10 at 23:05
good for you
 Post Reply Post Reply