The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Useful threads.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speedo swap KPH to MPH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
Baxters Chocolate Star Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speedo swap KPH to MPH
    Posted: 19 Jul 10 at 13:20
Like many of you I've been driving my Westy with a KPH speedo, but thought it was time to change it to a MPH one instead.
After doing so on the test drive I got a low oil pressure warning light and buzzer once the engine was upto temp but only on tick over, after messing about with the connection and some research it turns out that the PCB mounted to the speedo is different for a petrol and diesel.

Took the board from my old speedo and swap it with the one from the new speedo to fix the fault.
SmileSmile

So when buying a second hand speedo it's worth finding out whethers it's from a petrol or diesel before fitting as it could save you some time.

caron666 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
I'M NOT A BIRD, HONEST!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caron666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 10 at 13:55
Interesting.  I have bought some clocks from a diesel and put them in my petrol and no problems at all.  Straight swap.

Did you go from Petrol to Diesel or visa versa?

Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Baxters Chocolate Star Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 10 at 21:28

My vans a diesel after inspecting the two PCB's they had different value resistors on the boards

roj62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roj62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 10 at 21:23
I used to have a Jap import MX5 - you could buy a dial kit that had overlays in MPH. You just took the perspex off and took off the dials then put on the new faces in mph - of course the milometer was still in kph.
1990 T3 Westie Atlantic Hight Top 2.1 Petrol Auto
mr bricolage View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr bricolage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 10 at 12:01
I bought a speedo from a diesel van. The number was on the face is 805 which refers to the number of revolutions per mile. The old one that came off was 500. I have checked this by verifying with GPS and it is correct.
Euramobil Terestra
 Post Reply Post Reply