Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Broke down on Friday in the 2.6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broke down on Friday in the 2.6
    Posted: 23 Mar 11 at 11:12
After an uneventful 75 mile journey round the M25 and A21, parked up for 10 mins and then the damn thing wouldn't restart. Tried everything: fuel, sparks, fuel pump, bump starting on gas... had it ticking over eventually but wouldn't do more than 1200 rpm before stalling Angry then had to resort to insurance recovery to get home 7 hours later.
I did wonder if it had sucked up some tank crud (never more than a gallon in the petrol tank) but the lack of a successful lpg emergency start told me that the spark was too feeble to be of any use.
Fitted a new coil Sunday and all seemed to be ok going to work on Monday but it did stall once, at a r'bout on the way home...started and ran for about 10 seconds this morning then nothing Confused
What to swap next? There's no TCI under the coil (loom modified by a garage when it was imported in 2005) just the Altitude sensor off to one side which has either a 3A0 906 051 part # or the dreaded 22S prefix for later models in 1995 Ouch
Anyone good on VW ignition systems?

Edited by silverbullet - 23 Mar 11 at 11:29
Have I missed anything?
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 11 at 13:23
Well I've spent a lot of dosh on a replacement dizzy (2.3 Audi 80), MAP sensor (what etka calls an altitude sensor, 1.9 Audi Diesel 1Z), throttle pot(Golf 3), coil(VW generic) and it looks like the ecu has gone up the wall...or certainly the ignition portion of it as they are mapped ignition.
It turns out that VWSA had their own engine management system for home market, based on Motronic but all made by Bosch in SA and nothing like European systems.

So it will start and idle but squeeze it up to more than 1800rpm in neutral and it cuts like the ignition has been switched off.
Bollox!

DON'T go buying a 2.6 unless you like a lot of hassle when it goes wrong.

Hats off to Stuart at syncrohospital for loads of helpful advice Clap

Edited by silverbullet - 18 May 11 at 13:28
Have I missed anything?
 Post Reply Post Reply