The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rumble/vibration when cruising

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 21windows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rumble/vibration when cruising
    Posted: 12 May 11 at 18:42
Hi Guys
We have a 2000 plate T4 2.5 TDi automatic caravelle that has developed a nasty rumble/vibration when driving between 40 - 60 MPH.
The garage has checked the wheels and tyres (fitted 2 new fronts and all 4 balanced) checked tracking, checked suspension, steering and ball joints etc and cannot find what is wrong.

There does not appear to be a problem when accelearting or braking but the problem is very noticable when on fasirly straight flat roads.
We get a runble like we are running over a rumbl;e strip for about 1 second then it stops for a couple of seconds then starts again. This goes on and on.

Does anyone have any ideas what this may be?

many thanks

Graham
Tee4 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
I'm not indecisive,or am I?You bet I am!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 11 at 23:19
Wheel bearings or cv joint?
21windows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 21windows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 11 at 17:33
Originally posted by Tee4 Tee4 wrote:

Wheel bearings or cv joint?

all checked and fine!
Tee4 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 11 at 20:52
Could be a belt pulley problem or an auto box problem. Is it changing up and down and doing its kick down ok?
21windows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 21windows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 11 at 20:59
Originally posted by Tee4 Tee4 wrote:

Could be a belt pulley problem or an auto box problem. Is it changing up and down and doing its kick down ok?

Had all new belts about 1000 miles ago.
Kick down fine and changes through all the gears fine.
Tee4 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 11 at 21:22

How strangeConfused

Or_GazM View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Or_GazM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 11 at 14:39
I had a similar thing, suddenly started, then went away when I changed wheel/tyre combinations.
I was on 15" VW alloys with Conti Vanco tyres....then changed to 17" rims and new tyres....NO rumble.
Put the winter tyres (from the old steelies) onto the ally rims, still no problem.....so I can only assume there was something with the tyres...even though they were legal and balanced.

See if you can try a set of wheels from another van....
sm4rt View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sm4rt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 11 at 17:31
Do you have non-original alloys?..

If so you you might need to check if they should have adapter spigots fitted

May have 'developed' if the wheels have been off and spigot fell out or not fitted and wheels slightly off centre ?..

Just a thought
Sm4rt

... Flying the flag ...

Tee4 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 11 at 20:10

Yeap I agree about spigot rings, but I would have thought with out them it would be apparant all the time rather than just a quick rumble

Or_GazM View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Or_GazM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 11 at 03:40
Err...Spigot rings...yeah, maybe
But WTF...once you have the wheels ON and BOLTED, they shouldn't moveConfused

Rings make them easier to fit, but I don't see how a bit of plastic can hold them better than the 5 bolts you have torked to the correct settings Wink
jets View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 11 at 07:39
I noticed it's an auto. Have you plugged it in to see if there are any fault codes. A faulty/worn torque converter can give that type of symptom.

Edited by jets - 15 May 11 at 07:40
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 11 at 08:33
you have harmonic vibration, the vibration will be there all the time. It is just at certain speeds the frequency of the vibration is in tune with the vehicle, being amplified by the fabric of the vehicle to the point you can hear it.
You say everything is checked and fine, tyres would be my first port of call, maybe even trying a swap front to rear, different toe settings maybe.
Tee4 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 11 at 11:34

Even though when you bolt a wheel on. if its not making the correct contact with hub it effects the way the wheel revolves. I only ver had the none spigot thing happen on my last Caddy TDi when I Pput 17`s with out spigot rings on. It drove terrible

sm4rt View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sm4rt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 11 at 22:51
Originally posted by Or_GazM Or_GazM wrote:

Err...Spigot rings...yeah, maybe
But WTF...once you have the wheels ON and BOLTED, they shouldn't moveConfused

Rings make them easier to fit, but I don't see how a bit of plastic can hold them better than the 5 bolts you have torked to the correct settings Wink

Wasn't suggesting that they would move when bolted, but as Tee4 says, if the spigots aren't fitted and you take a wheel off (service brakes, puncture etc) then when you put it back on, you only need to be a fraction mis-aligned to get problems. The 'bit of plastic' ensures perfect alignment every time with the hub - you'd be amazed at the difference... but like I said just a possibility if its not any of the obvious stuff
Sm4rt

... Flying the flag ...

Post Reply Post Reply