The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Converting my LT to run on LPG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 15 at 08:25
With basic systems there isn't any perfect solution.
It's about adjusting timing to match the majority of your driving needs.
I live in Wales, lots of hills etc and with my old bus being underpowered most of my driving is at high revs. Same if I go on holiday, lots of motorway miles.

LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Dreamcatcher View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 15 at 10:17
Hi ottoman
Thought I'd jump in here. I have electronic ignition on my LT and running on LPG. Although I have the 2.4 six pot, I have the engine timing set with the strobe as standard ie 7deg before TDC . I have experimented with other settings as has been variously recommend, but have always found the 7deg to be the best.
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
ottoMan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 15 at 07:00
Thanks guys. I am aware that the setting is a compromise, not ideal. After LPG conversion, most of the driving will be with LPG, so I will search the best settings for it. An yes, the driving is most at high rpm's, that's the way a petrol engine likes to be driven anyway.

I am gathering as much information as I can before the conversion, because we don't have any professional here to adjust a carburetor and ignition timing anymore. For injection LPG system there wouldn't be any problem (everybody knows how to use a computer). But with carburetors is a lost art. And I am having problems finding an workshop to make the conversion - either they don't have conventional LPG systems anymore, or the van can't get in the workshop (it's to tall), or they have the system and the place, but the price is equal to the one of an injection system. Hope to get it done this week, thou. 

Cheers !

1980 Pop Top LT28 2.0 Petrol converted by Karroseriefabrik Voll von Wurzburg
Dreamcatcher View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 15 at 09:17
You shouldn't need to change any carb settings , unless there is an existing problem with the carb settings. The LPG system is a stand alone system and only uses the butterfly in the carb to regulate the gas flow. The carb settings make no difference when on LPG.
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
ottoMan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 15 at 10:23
Yes, I know that. But you need to adjust the LPG AFR, which is something that nobody seems to know how it's done for a carb system - that's what I meant. Luckily I am working with carbs and manuals adjustments every day (for motorcycles) so I have a clue on how the best AFR should feel.

I'll keep you posted on how it works on LPG - as soon as I find the shop to make the conversion.
ottoMan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 15 at 04:05
OK, I managed to do it. I found the workshop and they have done a pretty good job. It was more expensive than other quotes I've got, but it was the only place that actually accepted to do the job when they saw the car. Every where else I was getting a good price by the phone, and then they were changing their minds when they saw the car.

The engine runs fine by now, no miss-fires. I'll test through the city for a week then we're off to Hamburg - a 2500 miles long test, for the engine and the camper itself in cold autumn conditions.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 15 at 08:07
Good luck. All the best.
Davewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 18 at 20:52
I have just brought an. Lt with lpg , I was told it's not been used for a while . Does anybody know how to check if they are safe , before I turn it on !
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 18 at 22:03
Do some googling and find a local installer who will check the system for leaks etc.
There should be a date stamped on the lpg tank somewhere, they need to be checked after 10 years.
It's definitely worth getting the system working as it will roughly half your running costs.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Davewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 18 at 22:12
Did try one , but he seemed not intrested . We are down in East Sussex , so not many local choices
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 18 at 06:54
If you can't find someone then check the tank, if it's less than 10 years old you could try putting a few liters in. If it's over 10 years then a new tank isn't silly money, maybe £100 or so.

If there is a leak when you fill it you will see and hear it. If all is ok then buy something like this stuff, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17247-VMD-LPG-Gas-Leak-Locator-Detection-Detector-Spray-400ml/292746571163?var=&hash=item44290e2d9b

There is a solenoid on the tank which opens when the ignition is on and the switch is in the right position, you should hear a click.
Now work your way from the tank to engine checking every connection with the spray.

I'd still recommend you have the system safety checked even if you have to travel, but if it's working it's worth spending money on to get it set up correctly.

nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 18 at 10:19
Come over to fareham and I'll have a look at it for you. Monday or weds next week I'll be working on mine and don't mind giving your Lpg the once over.
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
Davewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 18 at 17:30
Thanks for the offer , the van is not on the road for a couple of weeks , doing oil leaks .
But if I get no joy up this end . Will take you up on your offer !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234