The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No dipped beam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coolrunnings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No dipped beam
    Posted: 07 Jan 12 at 12:46
Funny one this, switched on lights the other day, and no dip beam, only the small side light bulb illuminated. Switched to main beam for drive home. Part way home switched main beam off and the dipped beam was working.
Any clues. Just had MOT and failed as dipped beam again not working again.
Big red bus View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big red bus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 12 at 15:22
clean your earth crown behind l/h side of glovebox to start with. make sure they are nice and clean
89 Scooby Caravelle
91 mk2 Golf GTi
03 bug
MK2 Golf gti parts. Always breaking
coolrunnings View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coolrunnings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 12 at 18:12
MOT station got the lights working by repeated hitting the dip/main beam stalk. Electrician recommended replacement of this switch. Done that but same problem.
Checked fuses, on main beam removing fuses 5 and 6 (with No1 fuse being closest to passenger door) exstinguishes the main beams. All fuses have continuity, wiring diagram seems to show fuses for dipped beam, but each bulb has a fuse, it has to be something common that feeds the two dipped beam fuses or bulbs?
Bought a new headlamp relay but garage ruled this out, where does this fit?

I have no dipped beam at all at present.

Any further clues.
Big red bus View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big red bus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 12 at 20:12
so you have replaced headlight switch or indicator/main beam stalk?
Also have you made sure the earths are spotless and that the bulbs work?
89 Scooby Caravelle
91 mk2 Golf GTi
03 bug
MK2 Golf gti parts. Always breaking
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 12 at 21:03
Originally posted by coolrunnings coolrunnings wrote:

Bought a new headlamp relay but garage ruled this out, where does this fit?

Its doesnt. They dont have one...

Which switch have you replaced, and what have you replaced it with?

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coolrunnings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 12 at 21:10
i have replaced the indicator/dip beam swirch on the steering wheel column.

i have not replaced the switch on the dash.

There is no headlamp relay? Then how did VW heritage advertise one? i bought this as a potential requirement.

Earths appear clean.

Have not replaced bulbs as they were intermittently working before, so assumed they are still good as the intermittent problem is now a hard fault.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coolrunnings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 12 at 21:26
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 12 at 21:36
T3s Dont have headlamp relays.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 12 at 21:54
Originally posted by coolrunnings coolrunnings wrote:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Headlamp-Relay-12-v-flash-dip-5-Terminals_act_shop.product_pID_59778_lang_EN_country_GB.htm

headlamp relays?

They are.
LOL

But that doesnt change the fact that the T3 did not come with relays on the headlamps.
They could advertise them as fitting Apollo 13, but it wouldnt make it so...
Thats the reason your garage has ruled it out...

They can be fitted by modifying the wiring, someone may have done that to yours, but they didnt come with them...
If thats the case, you'll need to find them and see if one is pooped. Cant really help you with that because people put them in different places.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coolrunnings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 12 at 08:37
Right, i think i have it.
The dipped beam/indicator stalk is only a lever for the dipped beam. There is a catch on this stalk which actually pulls a small switch on the cluster beneath it which is actually part of the windscreen wiper stalk assembly.
I pulled the dip/main beam switch connector block off of this assembly and tested it.
There is one main 12V feed and three outputs.
Putting a slave wire across from live to output 1 gives me main beam, across output 2 gives me dipped beam and across output 3 triggers a relay somewhere in the glove box region.
I cleaned up this connector and put it back on and hey presto all is working.
Not sure if the switch on the wiper assembly is at fault and is still intermittent, will continue to run as is. If it fails again i guess this wiper switch assembly is the next port of call.
Williampike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Williampike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 20 at 14:38
thanks for that had same problem have give clean and seams to be working if gos again will change stalk 
Neil.T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil.T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 20 at 01:04
A few years back I was driving along the Snake Pass in Derbyshire on a dark , moonless , rainy night , approaching a sharp bend with a 50 foot drop ahead of it when all my lights went out !
Came as a bit of a surprise ......
The side light were working , though didn't light up the road , and when I pulled on the indicator stalk to flash the headlamps on full , they still worked fine .
That allowed me to carry on to find a lay-bye to park up on overnight , but not ideal .

It took a lot of circuit testing , swapping out and head scratching to try and find the fault , with no luck .

And then I got lucky .
For some reason I transferred the wires from the ignition switch , which was fairly new , to the old one whose spring had broke , and everything worked as they should again .

You'll notice if you turn the engine off with the lights on full , they go off just leaving the side lights on , likewise if you stall the engine ( or it cut's out ) when you go to restart it , the main beam goes off to allow full power to go to the starter motor .

If the contacts in the switch go , then so do your lights .

So if your main beams still work when you flash them , try changing your ignition switch ( not barrel ) , https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/electrical/switches/ignition-switch-t3.html

Fairby003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairby003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 20 at 11:22
Hi All.
I had this problem. After a good route around I found that in the wiper stalk assy. if you take the cover off the bit that hangs down you see 2 x brass bars that are part of the lighting circuit. These are held down by little springs. These bushes (bars) wear and so can loose you the dipped beam. I used some bushes from a spare wiper assy (mine is brown, donor black). And a good clean. Watch out for the fitting of the plastic switch that is inside. If you pull back the black slide the white plastic spigot fits inside and will (should) hold for you to reassemble. 
Alternatively, just buy a new wiper stalk assy!!! Non in brown as of writing thisCry
Hope that helps
1985 VW Westfalia Joker. 1.9i GW. Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply