Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2.6i Going 20v

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.6i Going 20v
    Posted: 30 Jan 12 at 15:27
Did a good few miles at the weekend to collect parts that will eventually combine with the 2.6 internals to make a 200 bhp beast of a motor.

Boat anchor:

Early 5-1 manifold, works better than the later cast one and only £90 with downpipe!!! Flywheel was £70 Smile

Bargain box'o'bits from Audi chap to make engine complete:

I only went there to pick up a PAS pump and brackets LOL 
Need to source a 7A loom and ecu in due course. Digging the 5-pot Audi scene right now Wink

Edited by silverbullet - 30 Jan 12 at 15:29
Have I missed anything?
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 12 at 16:36
Ian, got 2 x 5 pot motors here, plus looms and ecu - bell me if you need 'owt!
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 12 at 18:18
Thanks Hutch! Are they for 20-valvers? I've been told that the earlier 7A ecu is remappable (OBD flash or something? I dunno), the later ones aren't for some reason. I'll see what my S2 contact turns up as he's looking out a few bits for me anyway.

Bonus on the PAS pump, it's got the hydraulic assist "brake bomb" with it. Must be worth plumbing in as I can't run to Charlie-size anchors right now...
Have I missed anything?
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 12 at 09:43
Those boys at S2 forum are all really helpful, if completely bonkers! They all discuss bhp in increments of 100 Clap

I can see this all getting horribly out of hand, long term...

Anyone wanna buy a syncro to fund my addiction? LOL
Have I missed anything?
andy e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 12 at 11:01
Ian,

Will the 20V head bolt on the 2.6 block, I know they share the same head gasket.

Cheers Andy
Andy e
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 12 at 11:52
Broadly speaking it will, but there are so many detail differences on the 7A, bosses for sensors etc. meaning that I'll have to put the 2.6 crank into the 7A engine with 2.0 16v pistons (same bore/stroke) according to the advice that I've been given  by those in the know. The 7A rods are supposed to be stronger as they are H-beam, hope that they are the same length but no reason to think otherwise.

VAG Lego all the way!

P.S. the 7A has piston crown oil jets as standard Smile

Edited by silverbullet - 02 Feb 12 at 11:54
Have I missed anything?
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 13 at 21:09
It has been a while, any progress? I did find out that the 2.5 and 2.6 pistons are the same. Therefore your 2.6 block must be taller or have shorter rods? Nev.
 Post Reply Post Reply