The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp Cable Routing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amp Cable Routing
    Posted: 11 Jul 12 at 12:52
Hi guys i have a 1998 2.6 Caravelle and want to install a amp under the rear seat, can anybody tell me how i can rout my 4 gauge power cabling from the front were the battery is or can i get power source from the rear somewhere Confused
cobblers View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cobblers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 12 at 14:11
Assuming the SA vans have the same massive main starter cable as a UK van, you can quite happily just take power off the starter motor to save running a wire all the way from the front. The super thick wire has a much lower resistance than the 4 gauge, so you'll get marginally better performance this way, and it saves using as much wire.

Make sure you're fused as close as is practical to the starter terminal, and you use a good grommet where the cable passes through any sheet metal to enter the cabin.

In a UK van running from the front underseat battery trays is pretty straightforward too, but I don't think the SA buses have the channel above the fuel tank which makes things more problematic.

Edited by cobblers - 11 Jul 12 at 14:12
Magalin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 12 at 08:11
thanks for you info, i will check the starter cable and see if power can  be taken from there. if this is not possible then how can i rout the cable from under the driver seat. 
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 12 at 13:27
The SA fuel tank does have the trough up the middle just the same as German vans. Not so different.

TBH there's not much in it distance-wise whether you come off the alternator or the battery, they are both about 1.3 metres from the under-bench area!
Have I missed anything?
 Post Reply Post Reply