The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poor fuel economy / running over rich

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poor fuel economy / running over rich
    Posted: 14 Aug 12 at 16:35
I reckon my 2.6 bus is running way too rich, I've only had it a few weeks and its averaging 15mpg.
On a 170km run this morning it returned a little over 16mpg at a steady 100 to 120kph!
I know its a brick but I'm sure it should do better than this LOL

I have the Haynes and Bentley manuals but doubt they'll be of much use for this issue.

It smells rich from the exhaust, although the exhaust gases do not look black, and has a rough idle.
It was having trouble idling at all when warm until I cleaned the idle speed control valve and throttle body.
It has new plugs, leads, rotor cap and arm fitted.

Before I go near the fuel system I suspect it could possibly be coolant related, I say this because although the temp gauge works fine and the fan works, the warning light flashes constantly. I suspect this may cause the engine to believe it is still cold and therefore not adjust the fuelling accordingly.
Does this sound like a reasonable guess (I'm really not very knowledgeable on fuel injection) and if so what sensors can cause this light to flash?
Btw the main coolant bottle is full to the brim with the correct levels in the overflow bottle.

I assume a faulty level sensor can illuminate this light but can anything else?

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

Maurice
'95 2.6 SA Caravelle/Camper
'83 2.0 (GTi) T3 Caravelle
'84 1.6D T3 Hightop Camper (under restoration)
'86 1.6D T3 Pick-up (breaking)

'73 Beetle/Trike
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 12 at 16:44
no coolant will illuminate it too!!

suspect the sender or the ribbon on the rear of the clocks

the fi sensors if anything like the 2.1s are not related to the flashy light they are near the thermostat housing
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 12 at 20:40
You should be getting at least 20 mpg on a trip. Try fitting a new air filter.
morr View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 12 at 12:20
Originally posted by T3 Nev T3 Nev wrote:

You should be getting at least 20 mpg on a trip. Try fitting a new air filter.

The air filter is not too bad, I've certainly seen much worse, but I will be seeing if I can match up something in the motorfactors, hopefully later today.

just checked the figures in the handbook which are
90 Kph   27.16
120 Kph 18.83
Urban     16.52

So I certainly have a little room for improvement Smile

Edited by morr - 16 Aug 12 at 12:20
Maurice

'73 Beetle/Trike
Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 12 at 12:36
My 2.5 returns circa 22 mpg on petrol on a similar journey.

South African 1991 2.5i 5cyl Microbus - virgin, not campered - piloted by Brian.
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 12 at 23:12
I got 26, maybe 27 running on Super out to Hockenheim cruising at between 65 and 75. Sensible 205/65/15C tyres help no end.

My coolant lamp flashes randomly, probably poor earth at the instrument pack. Check the two coolant sensors high up on the block, behind the pas pump near enough.

Air filter: R.....t Laguna 1.9 TD is best match, correct length and i.d. but a bit small on o.d. not a problem for non-dusty UK
Have I missed anything?
morr View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 12 at 18:55
Seems to be all sorted now Smile

Firstly I fitted a universal cone filter, the original is actually fairly ok looking but I needed to be sure.
The top housing of the filter box is broken so I'm not getting the full ram effect from the snorkel either way.

Found a vacuum pipe a bit perished where it attached to a hella unit on the forward bulkhead, trimed and sorted that.

At this point, no change, if anything worse, its now pumping black smoke and spitting fuel at higher revs!

Brought it to a mates garage, he discovered the timing was way out (taking figures for an Audi 100) and he also spotted that the air temp sensor from the ducting above the filter was hanging down by the side of the chassis rail with its original location blanked off by the remains of a spark-plug!

With the timing sorted and the sensor refitted I took it for a run of 180km today averaging about 100kph over the total distance, total consumption was 20.07mpg which going by the handbook and what others have said above is pretty much what I can expect Smile

Oh and the flashing temp light was a faulty low level sender, now temporarily bypassed, and tyrewise I'm running 205/55/16, I'd rather a slightly taller tyre, but these were fitted by the PO and are fairly new so they'll have to do for now.

Now that is running well I'm off to book me ferry tickets to take it to Scotland next week for a long overdue holiday - yippee Thumbs Up
Maurice

'73 Beetle/Trike
 Post Reply Post Reply