The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

High revs 2.5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayaTheBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High revs 2.5
    Posted: 04 Oct 12 at 10:21

So this is what I found and done:
 - Cleaned that thing in the circle (throttle?) - used Servasol (same as Q20). Discovered it does not go all the way back when releasing the accelerator which means the revs stay higher. When moving it back manually (about 1 millimeter play in it), then idling goes down to 900rpm and stays there. Can't do that while I'm driving though  Dead

Yellow arrow moving back manually, Blue arrow accelerator.

Then I found this hole and I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be some kind of plug or something to keep pressure inside Ouch  I see smoke coming out and revs now go up to 4500rpm when in neutral (after driving about 10km). Hole in picture is directly below distributor and water hose (with red sticker).  Shocked

Please help!! Cry

Edited by MayaTheBee - 04 Oct 12 at 10:23
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 12 at 21:57
Is the acc cable free and not sticking? might be frayed? There should be clips holding the cable end onto the throttle lever, make sure they are fitted properly. The hole looks like a timing hole in the gearbox bellhousing, should have a bung but no prob if it does'nt.
MayaTheBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayaTheBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 12 at 08:46
Thanks... I'll be replacing the accelerator cable - and hopefully the problem is sorted. You mention 'bung' - any pic available so that I know what I'm looking for and that I get the right part Wink
Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 12 at 14:32
Item 8 below is the bung in question but ETKA only lists it for the 4 speed gearbox, no mention of the 5 speed.

South African 1991 2.5i 5cyl Microbus - virgin, not campered - piloted by Brian.
TransPorscher View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TransPorscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 12 at 11:02
My 2.5 did this last summer whilst in Germany. Very hot weather and high speed driving, it doesn't do it in the cold GB climate ! I'm think it might be the twin throttles sticking inside the throttle body and not relate to the accelerator cable as mine was very free from pedal to engine.
Charlie

Small Moves Big Grooves! WeFunkRadio.com

Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 12 at 15:32
Maya has traced his problem on this. It was the cable as you will see in the posting from "The Other Side".
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=108089&start=15
South African 1991 2.5i 5cyl Microbus - virgin, not campered - piloted by Brian.
 Post Reply Post Reply