The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine and gearbox finally finished

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc_geddes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine and gearbox finally finished
    Posted: 16 Oct 12 at 19:31

I have finally finished the main installation of my AFN and Long geared 5 speed box.

Mario and Daz at MV engineering did the main engine work.  We started with a Sharon AFN engine which we stripped and assessed the condition - the bottom end was fine but the top end was rebuilt, we took this opportunity to fit larger nozzles on the rebuilt injectors, and new turbo was also fitted.

Cruise control was also fitted using a brand new stalk from VW Classic which was very well priced against the second hand ones when available - brickwerks ordered this for me - thank you.

They did a good job on the whole and I am very pleased with their work.

I drove the van like this for the summer holiday - it was quite quick to 60mph on the std 3H gearing, but I didn't go faster than this due to engine speed and "mechanical sympathy" for the engine.

The box was then booked in with Aidan.  The box was rebuilt with a 4.14 diff, 0.73 5th gear and SA oil plates.  Aidan informed me that this is the longest 2wd box he has built!

The results of this are very impressive - 1st is now usable and it still pulls well in 5th gear.

With the std 205/XX/14 tyres (std multivan alloy size) it now cruises at 70mph (on the gps speedo) at 2900rpm or 80mph at 3300rpm.  at these speeds it will stall accelerate up the hills on the motorway as well.

I am really pleased and would recommend both Aidan and MV engineering - thank you both

I have a couple of things to sort out now - NVH - there is some vibration coming from the engine installation - this I think is due to the intercooler I have used and the very short run from intercooler out to inlet manifold, and to have a look at the accelerator pedal - over long journeys my ankle starts to ache.

This isn't an advert for either company I am just over the moon with the final product and wanted to give praise where praise is due.
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 12 at 19:34
Nice to hear of someone producing the goods on a conversion!

Can't get a better recommendation than a happy customer!!

Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 12 at 19:39
Awesome.

Im leaning towards a TDI for mine... ive outgrown the AAZ and i have the longer final drive already.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 12 at 19:44
Good news! On the peddle problem, i really do reccomend the peddle i used, it's great. Basically feels like its in the same position as the standard peddle
16" syncro multivan
jc_geddes View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc_geddes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 12 at 19:45
What still puts a smile on my face is cruising down the motorway at 80 in the outside lane flying past all the T2s and T3s in the slow lane.
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 12 at 20:17
Great news, another member to the AFN bus club. This really is a great engine to use in the bus. Loads of power and good fuel economy as well.

What throttle set up are you using. I have found that the spring in the std throttle pot is to strong for the bus set up and needs to be adjusted with less pre load.

Enjoy.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
jc_geddes View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc_geddes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 12 at 20:24
i have the std sharon pedal up front .
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 12 at 23:05
You've used the whole sharan pedal assembly? Hhhmm. I butchered mine.Embarrassed So it's not pedal stiffness that's the issue then, more pedal angle?  After the many hurdles in installing my afn(big learning curve) I really like it now.Thumbs Up
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 12 at 23:14
I want to use the e-pedal on the 20V..  pics please!

T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 12 at 07:15
pedal from lhd sharan
And part number

i started off with a peddle from a rhd passat, it really hurt your ankle due to the angle
16" syncro multivan
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 12 at 08:45
My Sharan had the earlier style throttle pot, like the 1Z jobs. They action is too stiff when used with the T3 pedal. Tim Shettle has sussed out how to "detune" them for better foot control.

lloydy, that's a later style job and looks by far the better option for a neat install. . I wonder if I might be able to use that style on mine? It's a 97 Sharan donor. That looks to be later.  The pot had six wires out, but I don't think they're all required (unless you have auto or cruise perhaps)
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 12 at 08:46
top job.

cheers lloydy
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 12 at 09:08
No worries,

Tim, my donor car had the earlier pedal set up and got swapped over to this style. I think it's just a matter of changing the wires over to the new peddle connector. Syncroandy could maybe give the drawing for it. Also, Elvis fitted it so he would be able to tell you what wire goes where.
If you go for it and get stuck, I should be able to check what colour wire goes where for you
16" syncro multivan
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 12 at 14:23
Cool. Thank you. I will get one off ebay and see what's what. It might even have the same wire colour scheme. Just good to know that it's not going to be rejected by the ecu. Smile
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
jc_geddes View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc_geddes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 12 at 19:33
My pedal looks similar to that - but the last two lettres of the PN are different.

Does the kink in the bar bend down or sideways?  Mine goes sideways you looks like down but it might just be the pictures.

It looks like I could angle the pedal down a little as its not touching the carpet when at full throttle - I might try this at the weekend.

I also have a chipped ecu to have a play with - 300Nm Evil Smile
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 12 at 20:58
How many Nm is your VW transmission good for? Good be a costly play time.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
jc_geddes View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc_geddes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 12 at 21:14
Aidan said 300Nm
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 12 at 21:20
What's the bhp/torque curve like on that ecu? Still pretty flat?
16" syncro multivan
niko View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nice fella.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 12 at 22:03
I have a MV engine conversion and Aidan box.......and I love mine too....
1989 westy Joker now with TDi

Post Reply Post Reply