The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

06 2.5 LT service for a big long awaited trip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philmountains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 06 2.5 LT service for a big long awaited trip
    Posted: 04 Jan 13 at 21:14
Hi all this is my 1st post and I,m new here  !!!!! I have only just bought the LT35 low roof, for a trip from North Yorks down to Tortosa in Spain next month were I own a very small finca, I have been waiting 8 years to do this trip ,money ,time etc.. i reckon it will be a one off, defiantly for the thirsty LT
The van is in fairly good shape,compared to other I have looked at over 6 month, its got 143000 on it and fairly straight odd rust patch,and only just noticed slight oil leak Cry from somewhere at front of sump ill keep a eye on this.
Anyway its got a short MOT till Feb so its going to the garage for a pre-check etc... but I wanted to sort some things out prior, like change oil / air/ fuel filter,s and need a Tyre.
I managed to do air filter last night at work after struggling and realizing only way was to remove headlight to get in/out , but I got stuck with oil filter!!!!!!!!! is it the plastic cap at top of engine with direction arrow and 25kn on, or is it at bottom next to sump with socket head on ? anyway no way could I shift the top cap with a strap wrench I have spent ages trawling web for info and very little out there, so that is my 1st question is it  the top cap and is it a 135mm 18 point socket to remove it ?
also the fuel filter is in a nightmare location I,m not of the thinnest build and got stuck believe it under the van LOL! , I think this might be one for the garage to do ?.
Thanks for any help and will post some pics of the trip.
Phil Martin
D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 13 at 08:37

Welcome to the Yard Phil. The oil cartridge filter is under the plastic cap you described, have you tried warming it with a heat gun? Got mine off by warming it then using a strap type filter remover. The air filter is a nightmare as it seem's impossible to get the lid back on, a job I hate doing. As for the fuel filter located next to the gearbox I sent mine to a garage to have it changed, even they struggled to do it!
One more thing, make sure you use semi not fully synth oil
Carthago 32.1 T4 LWB
BY Golden Nut Winner
Chug & Tug Team Member
philmountains View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philmountains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 13 at 10:24
Hi thanks for your reply, thankfully I got the correct oil amazingly up to the VW spec I was drawn to it by the price £9.95 for 4 litre "Each" x 2 and semi synthetic in HomeBargins.
I don't want to mash up that cap so will try and get the correct socket they are only a fiver on ebay/amazon that's if you get the correct size first time !!!!!!!
I do wonder what the bottom cap has inside ? without a manual or experiences its all new, and jugging by a couple of jubilee clips on the fuel line close to the fuel filter someone been here before Interesting ?????LOL 
Thanks Phil

Edited by philmountains - 05 Jan 13 at 10:33
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 13 at 12:17
When.was the last time it had a cambelt change?

If your off to Spain I would be seriously tempted to change it if it's not been done of late.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philmountains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 13 at 23:47
Hi Thanks for your reply I don't have any service history for the van as bought it from a trader, but it was a ex fleet motor so hoping it was serviced regular ? I am going to try to contact previous owner to find out about belt change for piece of mind, I don,t want to throw loads o money at, what do you reckon £250 ish for belt change ? yes I know nothing compared  to a new engine and all the aggro of being stranded abroad  Shocked I am defiantly not keeping it as it,s  too big and thirsty.  A  T4 lwb fit,s my needs better.
Thanks Phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philmountains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 13 at 18:14
Hi well it shows it is worth a phone call ,contacted previous owner, and they are printing me the service history ,and best news Timing belt done last year Big smile and I was way off mark four hundered and odd quid phew!!!!!!
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 13 at 18:30
shouldnt be thirsty!

my one does a good mid 30mpg on a run
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philmountains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 13 at 14:20
Hi hope it does Tongue I'm still going to take a couple of Jerry cans to take advantage of the slightly cheaper diesel in Spain ,The ferry's now booked had loads of advise !!!  but in the end have opted for the Plymouth-Le Havre route got return for £163 with LD Lines "8 hour crossing Cry but should be allot cheaper on tolls and fuel. 
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 13 at 17:05
Unless you're a heavy sleeper I'd advise getting a cabin - every time I try and save money by sleeping in the lounges I regret it!
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philmountains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 13 at 12:54
It,s too late I,ve  just gone for the free seats option Confused hopefully will try and catch up on sleep ! I work shifts, so I am very used to not getting enough sleepOuch I think it was another £65 for cabin, and could not justify that ,also not sure what I will be like on a boat for 8 hours ? sea sickness wise, so poss would not of got much use out of a cabin anyway ? 
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 13 at 13:59
When I've tried, it was cheaper to get a cabin once you're on board. Play it by ear, it may be OK if you're not next to a family of screaming kids or the world's loudest snorer. Maybe I'm just unlucky? Although I did creep down a corridor once and find a completely empty room, no lights or people. Had a great kip!

Hope you get a better crossing than this lot...
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philmountains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 13 at 16:39
Bloody hell that really makes me feel better LOL! Wink I cannot believe that was real footage, I would be scrambling about on the floor looking for all them wasted sausages Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply