The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

vw lt 35 2005 cold starting problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecosse1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vw lt 35 2005 cold starting problem
    Posted: 11 Jan 13 at 21:31
hi folks
i was wondering if anyone can advise i have a vw lt 35 2.8 tdi 2005 model 158bhp and having problems with the van starting in cold weather 1st thing in morning it just winds over and doesnt fire even after giving multiple heats engine starts turning over slower after few atempts like battery is going flat, i have replaced ,new starter,higher amperage battery,glowplugs,glowplug relay,had it checked out on diagonostic machine nothing showing up, all fuel lines /tank system checked for air leaks and throughly cleaned out,fuel flow/pressure checked, valve clearences done,engine compression checked fine,i am near demented with this problem can any one please suggest any areas to look at that i may of over looked it would be grately appreicated .

thanks in advance
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 13 at 10:02
Have you checked for voltage drop in leads and connections between battery and starter when cranking ?  Don't forget to check the earth return side as well (a poor earth is just as bad as a poor connection on the live side).  Check with the -ve probe of the meter on the +ve terminal of the battery and +ve probe of the meter on the starter solenoid initially.  Should be very little voltage difference (less than 1 Volt ? when cranking).

If there is a problem with a lead or a connection then you won't get full voltage and current to the internals of the starter (where it needs to be).

Another possibility is too thick an engine oil making engine hard to crank.
ecosse1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecosse1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 13 at 12:32
hi thanks for the reply i shall get voltage checked out , i can rule out to thick viscosity oil..once van has started takes near 3/4 minutes on/off cranking for it to fire up seems to be cold weather /overnight that effects it when its started it fires up and runs great just seems intial cold starting in morning.

thanks
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 13 at 14:07
Hmmm, could have a fuel supply problem eg one way valve leaking and letting fuel drain back when sitting, so fuel pump takes a long while to re-prime the injector pump/injectors.  

Also frequent 3-4 minutes cranking isn't doing the starter motor or the battery any good at all Dead
woodyrich1965 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyrich1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 13 at 21:06
dont know  if any help but my fuel filter wasnt sealing when i got mine and i could see air in the clear pipe that goes to the fuel pump fitted new filter and all sorted ...pete
rallymark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rallymark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 13 at 21:11
Originally posted by ecosse1974 ecosse1974 wrote:

hi folks
i was wondering if anyone can advise i have a vw lt 35 2.8 tdi 2005 model 158bhp and having problems with the van starting in cold weather 1st thing in morning it just winds over and doesnt fire even after giving multiple heats engine starts turning over slower after few atempts like battery is going flat, i have replaced ,new starter,higher amperage battery,glowplugs,glowplug relay,had it checked out on diagonostic machine nothing showing up, all fuel lines /tank system checked for air leaks and throughly cleaned out,fuel flow/pressure checked, valve clearences done,engine compression checked fine,i am near demented with this problem can any one please suggest any areas to look at that i may of over looked it would be grately appreicated .

thanks in advance

Hi,

any chance you can tell us what it does when its started, our van is doing the exact same thing, once it starts there is loads of smoke. Clears after a few seconds though. There is a hesitation under light throttle when driving too. Injectors seem to rattle more than usual too. overall performance doesn't seem to be effected though,

any more thoughts
Mark
ITS NOT WHO YOU ARE THAT COUNTS, ITS WHAT YOU DO THAT MATTERS
 Post Reply Post Reply