The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

water pump change 1999 LT35

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crayon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: water pump change 1999 LT35
    Posted: 03 Aug 13 at 19:21
Hi guys i`ve just bought a 1999 2.5 TDI LT35
the engine is making a horrible racket and we have ruled out the vac pump, but we found a lot of play in the water pump i`ve bought a new one but have no idea how to change it
Is there any how to guides on here anywhere?????
Thanks Guys
SteveSt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 13 at 19:03
Hey Crayon
Unless I am Very much mistaken Yours is a second generation LT which means you'll be better off posting in the LT2 forum.
Good luck
LT31 1991 2.4 TD Florida Westphalia • Honda ST1100 • Ford Tourneo Connect
crayon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crayon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 13 at 06:46
Ops thought it was sorry
crayon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crayon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 13 at 06:49
Hang on I have posted in the LT2 forum?
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 13 at 07:34
You have!!
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 13 at 07:39
Its cambelt time for you I'm afraid. The pump is driven off the belt, so bumper off and strip down time, its a good six hour job.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

crayon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crayon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 13 at 10:29
Thanks I know where the pump is, was just wondering if there are any handy tips never done one before, ive not long bought the van and the belts were not long done, guess the guy was too tight to get a new pump too.
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 13 at 10:38
I've never done one on this engine so can't offer specific guidance, but what I tend to do if it's a vehicle I'm not familiar with, or don't have suitable locking pins is to slice the old belt in half widthways before releasing tension. Then you can slide on the new belt (assuming no lips on the pulleys) without disturbing the timing at all. Then carefully cut off the old belt and slide the new one fully in place. Obviously this only works if you're confident the engine was running correctly prior to the cambelt change, and on engines with more than one tensioner, different tension in different belt runs can lead to things being slightly out of sync.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
crayon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crayon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 13 at 12:23
Im not going to be changing the belt as it was changed 2 months ago, I was planning on cable tying the belt yo the pully so it don't move
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 13 at 20:54
In this case paint blobs on the belt will get it back on where is was...assuming it was right to start with of course! Maybe best to just do it all from scratch to be sure?

Don't run with the pump like that...asking for a new camshaft!
crayon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crayon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 13 at 21:03
All done now new pump was £28 and a mate done it for £40 well happy
 Post Reply Post Reply