The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problems Starting LT35 1997

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acharny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems Starting LT35 1997
    Posted: 26 Aug 13 at 15:05
hi guys, 

I have an LT35 2.5Tdi MWB Volkswagen 1997. At the weekend I unfortunately managed to snap the key in the ignition. The remaining part of the key is enough to start the vehicle. That evening my friends played the stereo all night long and of course in the morning the van had to be jump started. Now getting it home it won't start again. All lights come on dash and there is a click from the engine but nothing more. I have hooked it up to the mains and it has charged registering 13.5/14v and a green light, but it still will not start. 
Is the key responsible for this? (I can turn the van off completely still) or could it be a start motor/alternator problem? or do I need a new battery? 
The van will start and run when bumped down hill or started with jump leads from another van, but not from the mains or stand alone. 
Thanks in advance for any ideas or help!

Alex
kelsham View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelsham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 13 at 17:24
Have you charged the battery overnight? It sounds as if flattening the battery has caused it's demise.
Try putting on the headlights and then trying to start it, if the lights dim substantially the battery is flat.

Kels.
Acharny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acharny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 13 at 17:39
Thanks Kels, 

I am leaving the battery on to charge over night, I have managed to start it off the mains earlier. Two more questions, 1) Do you think I should get a new battery to be safe even if the vans starting ok? 2) Have you any idea if the snapped key is an issue? I can turn it off and on, no lights etc.. only problem I can see is I can't lock the cab. 

Regards

Alex
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 13 at 04:41
I agree with kelsham that the battery might be RS.  If you can turn the ignition lock to the starter position then the broken key isn't the cause of your trouble.

No lead acid battery likes to be completely flattened, and if the battery was a bit dodgy before being discharged then being flattened may have done for it. 

Kelsham gave you a good suggestion for a quick-n-dirty load test.  You could also check the voltage at the battery when trying to crank the starter, if it is going below 10V (after being charged) then your battery is probably RS ( I suspect it is going way lower than that from your description).
 Post Reply Post Reply