The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT 158 remap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redsurfbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT 158 remap
    Posted: 27 Aug 13 at 11:56
Hi all,
I am going to the National Watersports festival in a few days and have been given a special offer on a remap with these guys http://www.ecovehicletuning.com/
Offer is for £225 reduced from £275. The new power would be 190bhp from 158 and torque 245 to 282 Lbft.

Has anyone had this done? When I had my old van towed away the guy who took it told me the 158 was a brilliant engine and not to bother with remaps, he reckoned an intercooler upgrade was the best thing for the van. 

Now, it has suffered from very occasional loss of power - only when overtaking up cornish hills far too fast, if I cruise up them at 65ish then no problems at all. but when overtaking on the odd big hill it goes limp, still cruises at 60 but the turbo cuts out. Its like and instant downgrade to my old velle! Engine off and back on and all is fine again. Lots of searching online has not shown a solution to this, the main route to trying to solve it is to change the maf....then the poster comes back a few months later and says it didnt solve it.

So could a remap make it worse? Or should I go for it. They will blank the EGR as well.

Please if you can help then I need some advice on this in the next day or two.

www.redsurfbus.com
Powered by Hot Sails Maui, Exocet Boards, Black Project Fins and Chinook parts.
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 13 at 12:33
I think that on a section of a forum where the majority of members consider the dizzying 95 bhp from the LT1 turbo diesel to be 'big power', all you're likely to get will be jealousy...

I really can't see how a remap will fix underlying problems, but unfortunately I've yet to do much work on modern diesels so can't offer any possible solutions. £225 would probably buy you quite a bit of time for a decent mechanic (rather than a 'put new parts on until the problem goes away' fitter) to diagnose the problem though Wink

A stab in the dark at diagnosis would be to rig up an independent boost pressure gauge - I wonder whether a temporary overboost situation (whether real or merely reported incorrectly by the pressure sensor) could be putting the engine into limp home mode?
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 13 at 15:55
Spend the money on a inter cooler if it has not got one already (you sure it has not already go one?)
190 hp without an intercooler could lead to more problems
I would also try to sort out your existing problem before even thinking about a remap 
redsurfbus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redsurfbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 13 at 17:17
Yes it has an intercooler, the local chap said about upgrading it for a bigger better one. He uses these vans as recovery vehicles.

The problem is not a problem as such, some of the models out of the factory suffer from it. After a lot of reading up on it in various forums round the world I would guess that it could be the engine management at fault, anyhow its not a problem to me as it is protecting the turbo by turning it off when under too much load, and 90 up a steep hill is perhaps too much load although I have never done that speed ossiferEmbarrassed

I am still in two minds about the remap, not for the power just for the better fuel economy. It has plenty of power as it is, even with 3 people full conversion and all the stuff needed for surfing/windsurfing/kayaking/paddleboarding and holiday for a week in terms of water and food it still powers like a train! Currently getting just over 30mpg in Dorset, Devon an Cornwall, so quite happy about that compared to my old t4 velle auto...lucky to get 20 out of that thing round here with no motorways.
www.redsurfbus.com
Powered by Hot Sails Maui, Exocet Boards, Black Project Fins and Chinook parts.
D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 13 at 20:17

The 2.8 is more Merc than Vw, try Maz at MV Engineering in Telford as he has plenty of experience with this lump & is now leaning towards injectors over chips/remaps.
Carthago 32.1 T4 LWB
BY Golden Nut Winner
Chug & Tug Team Member
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 13 at 21:12
sounds like you could have a problem with the inlet manifold temperature sensor, it could also be a problem with the MAP sensor and n75 valve failing to control the boost from the turbo as either would cause it to go into limp mode 
But a bigger intercooler would be a good idea if you were to have a remap and may even help with the problem you already have if it is high inlet temp`s causing the problem 
redsurfbus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redsurfbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 13 at 22:22
Its not a problem I will be spending hours and cash on to get fixed at the moment as its not really a problem. Thanks for the advice though. 
The engine runs at quite a low temp anyway, the guage has never risen past a third. I think the intercooler was replaced about 10,000 miles ago as two years ago it was listed as cracked on the mot but not at the last mot. Van has only done 56,000.

What I will do is be careful, like I say its a common fault. When I am confident I have found the solution I will get it fixed. I have emailed the guy from the remap place to ask if he can just blank off the egr and give it a wipe out, that should save a few pennies on fuel I hope as thats all I would like to do. What I dont want to do is end up with loads of power which then causes the limp mode thing whilst driving normally on the flat.

Anyway.....really chuffed as she is currently in the lead in a van competition at the show, 231 votes vs 110 for the next and the other 20 entrants have less votes put together than I have. Its a nice feeling as I put a lot of effort into this van over the summer.

Thanks again for the advice, it has helped me make my mind up to not bother getting it done.

www.redsurfbus.com