The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement LT35 Wheel Studs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16v205 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement LT35 Wheel Studs
    Posted: 11 Sep 13 at 14:55
Hello,

I've just come across a problem pulling the rear wheel off this lt 35 horsebox I bought a few weeks ago. 

The rear wheel nuts and studs are damaged, I don't know if they were over tightened or were stripped with a air gun but there not really usable anymore. I've had a look on VagCat? but cant find the same model as I have. 

I own a 6 stud twin wheel axle with what measures as m18 studs, is there any where I can order these from to replace or has someone got a used rear hub for sale? I've spoken to my local VW dealer and they didnt come up with much.

Cheers
Rich 
LT35 1987 2.4TD Horsebox
LT35 1998 2.8TD - Needs a engine, anyone help?
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 13 at 19:38
The wheel nuts are N 0201161 (Number 3, m18 x 1.5) and the wheel studs are 291501627C (Number 27, m18 x 1.5 x 70).  I've found my local VW dealers are a bit hit and miss on how helpful they can be as well.  I suppose I can see their point to a degree.  It can be difficult to find the part number and then half the time it's no longer available.

If they are no longer available in the UK try Brickwerks or Heritage VW.

Edited by volition82 - 11 Sep 13 at 19:39
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
16v205 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16v205 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 13 at 21:46
Thank you very much for the help.

Ive bought 6x wheel bolts from ebay this evening from the part number you gave me so they should be with me in the next few days now.

Just got to find some studs, ive seen some on ebay for £20 each Cry. I dont fancy paying £120 for 6 studs straight off unless i have no other choice, so as i've got an m18 die ill run it down the threads first just incase they clean up and can save 1 or 2 of them.

Cheers
Rich
LT35 1987 2.4TD Horsebox
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 13 at 23:07
Just had a look and he only has 5, which is a shame.  But it does have a best offer.   I shouldn't think people are beating down his door to buy them so you could make him a cheeky offer.  He could very well bite your hand off LOL

Try UK VW they might well be cheaper.  You could be pleasantly surprised.  I doubt it but one can hope.  This company sell a lot of different studs, one is m16 so they might have bigger if you give them a call?

Also found this,

Same thread size and length.  Well they are 3mm longer, which is better than shorter!  Not sure if you can weld?  You could put them in tightened up against the nut and a washer.  Then put a couple of good tacks on the back of each stud.  If there is room to get a welder of course and the shank lengths are similar.  I can't see how it's any different than the star part of the original stud.  The way I see it, it's just there to stop the stud turning and when the nuts tight there isn't any difference in the load placed on the stud.  Bit of a bodge but cheap.

Edited by volition82 - 11 Sep 13 at 23:30
16v205 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16v205 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 13 at 18:59
All sorted, the chap on ebay took a best offer on the wheel studs so thats enough for me to get on with this van for now :)

The bad news is the actual part number 291501627c has been discontinued since March.
I spent 3 hours this morning phoning dealers across the country. I was given half a dozen UK dealer numbers by VW commercial who may have had stock on the shelfs but no luck in finding any, one dealer found there is limited stock in Germany at £10 each stud plus P&P.

Id have never of thought these VW's would be difficult to get bits for.

Rich  
LT35 1987 2.4TD Horsebox
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 13 at 19:45
It's a lot of money for what is basically a bolt but at least your all sorted now.

The service parts and your general wear items like discs, wheel bearings etc are still readily available.  But the more specific stuff is getting harder and harder to source.  UK VW don't really seem to be interested and there's another thread at the moment where somebody has been offered all the UK stock of LT parts.

You can still get most of the stuff from Germany but it can be expensive and takes time.  The trouble is long term I very much doubt whether people will start re-manufacturing parts like with the Beetles etc because there aren't enough of them about.

Edited by volition82 - 12 Sep 13 at 19:45
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 13 at 12:23
I think as time goes on we'll have to get ever more resourceful, like your suggestion of adapting other parts to fit. Obviously this will take longer than just fitting a part off the shelf, making everyday use more difficult. And those who are unable or don't have time to fabricate parts will either have to pay someone else to do the work, or move on to a different vehicle.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 13 at 18:41
Who is the main dealer concerned on the other thread !Angry
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 13 at 23:07
Wish we knew...
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
16v205 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16v205 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 13 at 09:56
What's up with a dealer on another thread? Or do you mean who did I speak to?

Grange over Sands were the dealers who found the parts in Germany. I've got there number some where but I'm sure it's on google.

I've actually re cut the original wheel studs I removed. They cleaned up well by running a 18x1.5 die down the threads, i can torque a new wheel nut to 150lbft so I've got 5 spares again. The wheel bolts must have been the softer material as they are scrap.

Rich

LT35 1987 2.4TD Horsebox
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 13 at 10:59
Originally posted by 16v205 16v205 wrote:

What's up with a dealer on another thread? Or do you mean who did I speak to?

Grange over Sands were the dealers who found the parts in Germany. I've got there number some where but I'm sure it's on google.

I've actually re cut the original wheel studs I removed. They cleaned up well by running a 18x1.5 die down the threads, i can torque a new wheel nut to 150lbft so I've got 5 spares again. The wheel bolts must have been the softer material as they are scrap.

Rich
don't worry not you,or the dealer its just we haven't heard from a member for a while now who started a promising thread just hope he is ok any news would be welcome .
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 13 at 00:50
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXCELLENT-ORIGINAL-GENUINE-PORSCHE-914-6-911-912-964-924-944-45mm-WHEEL-STUD-/360684872101

The above is what I bought, or similar as I think mine were a bit longer and they fit very well.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
 Post Reply Post Reply