The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ****
    Posted: 07 Oct 13 at 22:28

ok i have had

Edited by sandancer - 15 Nov 13 at 16:54
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 13 at 23:21
Looks like turd...if a head gasket goes on an engine normal practice is to repair it, not replace the whole lot! What engine is in now? An AAZ? Head gasket failiure is rare on them as its a steel shim stack not cardboard.

I think more diagnosis is required...
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 13 at 23:28
Ok..further post investigation reveals you have a 1.9 td and it has been overheating for a while due to incorect belt fitting so possibility of head gasket failing is now high...remove the head and look is my advice...finding a non fucked AAZ is difficult and expensive nowadays.

sandancer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 13 at 00:56
Originally posted by max and caddy max and caddy wrote:

Ok..further post investigation reveals you have a 1.9 td and it has been overheating for a while due to incorect belt fitting so possibility of head gasket failing is now high...remove the head and look is my advice...finding a non fucked AAZ is difficult and expensive nowadays.

going to try to buy a donor car so can test engine first
youthy giblets View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 13 at 08:09
As max and caddy says Pull the head off first and see how its looking
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 13 at 09:52
Originally posted by youthy giblets youthy giblets wrote:

Pull the head off first and see how its looking

That made me snigger!
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 13 at 13:01
The sludge looks more akin to what you would find in a petrol engined van with headgasket problems i.e its a bit on the brown side,was the van a petrol before the aaz ?  
It could also be worthwhile checking the water to oil ,oil cooler on top of the oil filter before removing the head it is quite comon for these to fail resuling in oil in the cooling system, mls gaskets tend to fail completely  (combustion gasses in the header tank pressurizing the cooling system and all the other symptoms ) rather than just between oil and water galleries but the latter is still possible 

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 13 at 16:29
Originally posted by ELVIS ELVIS wrote:

Originally posted by youthy giblets youthy giblets wrote:

Pull the head off first and see how its looking

That made me snigger!

ELVIS did u get a sump?
sandancer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 13 at 21:06
[QUOTE=light] The sludge

Edited by sandancer - 15 Nov 13 at 16:54
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 13 at 22:18
Shouldn't do, is there no pressurisation in the cooling system when the vans ticking over? Any visible sir bubbles coming up to the top of the header with the lid removed? I think your head gasket will be kippered mate.
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 13 at 23:09
Originally posted by sandancer sandancer wrote:

Originally posted by light light wrote:

The sludge looks more akin to what you would find in a petrol engined van with headgasket problems i.e its a bit on the brown side,was the van a petrol before the aaz ?  
It could also be worthwhile checking the water to oil ,oil cooler on top of the oil filter before removing the head it is quite comon for these to fail resuling in oil in the cooling system, mls gaskets tend to fail completely  (combustion gasses in the header tank pressurizing the cooling system and all the other symptoms ) rather than just between oil and water galleries but the latter is still possible 

it was not a petrol before, it was a 1.6td
getting the compression checked on friday, so i will take off the oil cooler filter and have a look, if it is the oil cooler, would that have affected the power as well, as the last time out (when i found the gunk) it was struggling to go up small hills and would not go over 45

Can't see it affecting power ,is the power loss a recent occurrence? if so I would guess at a fuel supply problem
Generally a diesel with a compression leak will deteriorate rapidly due to the pressures involved unless its a cracked cylinder head/ cylinder liner and will be running very rough /smoke at idle and almost guaranteed to be pressurising the cooling system (this could explain your running hot problems due to air locks ) did your heaters blow hot air ?
The sludge problem is oil to water contamination which could be the oil cooler/headgasket/cracked head /block  
JacobJoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacobJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 11:33
I've had the head gasket go on my AAZ. On day 2 of two weeks in Europe, joy!!

I think caused by the fan belt going a few months before and causing some over heating issues at the time.

Post Reply Post Reply