The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lt35 rattle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

disgruntled of Cheltenham!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deanbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lt35 rattle
    Posted: 16 Aug 14 at 19:43
hello
first post but been lurkin about the forum
for a while.
i got my lt in november absolutly luvs it, my last van
was a transit swb i put a grp hightop on it and had many
years of use as a camper. hope to make this one into
a good sized holibob wagon.....but me van has started to
make some worrying noises, i have searched the web and cant
find anything specific so i am asking for some help and advice.
when i start the van (2.5 tdi 2002) theres a rattling which gets
worse when i turn the steering wheel. sounds like something hitting the engine casing. steering fluid is fine and no leaks.
any idea?
any help would be very much apprieciated.
deanbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deanbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 14 at 22:44
found out what the problem was
and all fixed. it was not a common problem that
could have been easily misdiagnosed
so thanks for not replying at all guys
it helped alot.
for that reason.....im out
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 14 at 18:41
oooooohhhh get you!!!!

so just because no one guessed your uncommon problem you've come back here to say you know but don't want to tell anyone because we didn't answer and that your "out"??

If someone had known I'm sure they would have said, as it happens there's only a handful of us on here with lt2 vans and I certainly had no idea of what was wrong

if that genuinely is your attitude perhaps its best if you do jog on elsewhere as this place obviously isn't for you.

Edited by jason k - 14 Sep 14 at 19:44
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

deanbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deanbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 14 at 21:20
funny how been two replies now
and both of them not very positive, any
advice would have been a help jason, even a bit
of acknowlegment would have shown a bit of
community spirit, im glad of your response as It has
shown that there are other lt owners out there!!!
taken nearly a month to find that out
and as the van is fixed now i certainly wont
be "jogging" anywhere. and I am happy to share
my findings with anyone, but no one seemed to
be at home. it would have been like shouting through
the letterbox,

Edited by deanbell - 14 Sep 14 at 21:31
wheresthatgonenow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheresthatgonenow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 14 at 10:37
deanbell, please dont get down mouthed about it, as jason has said there are only a handfull of lt2 on here but not always looking in on the forum, i`m guilty of that, it could be weeks before i look in, the other problem is believe it or not these lt2`s are reliable so problem sorting from other members may not happen if no one has had problems like ones that can come up,
would you share with us what was wrong with your van, it will be useful to someone in the future 
deanbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deanbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 14 at 23:16
Handbag away and eaten a snickers...

Had the van in November and had no problems with it till is started a really
Small chattering on idle and slightly increasing when turning the steering
Wheel,this noise would go when the revs increased, this got worse over a period of three weeks. The Engine sounded rougher and rougher and a loud clanking started on turn over and switch off. got my father in law to
Have a look and we put steering on nearly full lock and had a good poke around and the noise was coming from the centre off the engine and sounded v expensive. Cold sweat moment...... I thought that it was the end....
I took it to a local garage and was first told that It sounded like I needed a new engine at the rough cost of two grand... lumpy pants.....
Luckily the alternator was sounding pretty awful (yes luckily) and the chap said let's take off the belt and have a listen.. once the belt was removed the van started with a little clank and......ran perfectly clanking gone.
The bottom end crank pulley had deteriorated and the rubber holding the two metal cups together had split all the way round, causing the back half to hit against the belt cover behind as it rotated. New pulley cost 100 and garage wanted 80 per hour.. I ended up doing it myself and was not as big a job as I imagined, four alum key bolts and 27mm main crankshaft nut, short reach socket and long bar,no need to take off fan or any of that stuff. The claim nut is tight which is to be expected. I put the van in forth gear handbrake on, and slow prolonged pressure on the bar worked for me, once the bolts were out the pulley came off without the need of any tools for leverage.putting it back on I used some lock tight and plenty of pressure. It took two hours to replace pulley and altenator.
Since its been done the engine is really quite runs and pulls a lot better, I can hear the split pipe whistle on the turbo again!!!!!!
Happy days.
I'm keeping a close eye on the pulley and its bolts tho

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 14 at 07:33
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

wheresthatgonenow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheresthatgonenow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 14 at 10:34
thank you for reporting back, this info will prove to be useful,
you were lucky, if it had of come apart a lot of damage would of followed, and £££££`s,
one bit of advise i can give with confidence is change the oil regularly + filter use good oil and keeo an eye on the cambelt, you can slip the top cover off to check it when the two clips are unsnapped, its a bit fiddly to put the cover back on but patience and it goes on,  belt change is 90,000 miles but mine have been done at around 75,000 - 80,0000 each time, engine has covered 400,000 miles with no problems and still going strong
deanbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deanbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 14 at 23:55
Thanks for the Good info mrwtgn. Theres not a great deal of info about
Im impressed by the milage of yours And a little more relaxed about my van... Mines done 183 000, I had a transit before this it did 123000 then rusted in front of my eyes. Within a year of the rust taking hold it was sold for scrap.... however The vw is absolutly solid im really chuffed that I went for a vw. I work for a well known motorhome manufacturer and it made sense to build myself another camper. Ill put up some pictures shirtly. Thanks again

Post Reply Post Reply