The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake light switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blisteredfingerz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake light switch
    Posted: 19 Jul 15 at 15:07
Hi all. New member here just recently acquired a 1984 LT35 camper.

On our third trip out in her a car pulled alongside us and hollered that I had no brake lights.

*I have investigated as much as I can and have established that the fuse is ok and hazards work fine. I      believe the hazards use the same fuse as the brake lights.  
*All connections have been renewed, cleaned, servisol'd etc.
*The bulbs appear to be ok and filaments are intact.
*I checked for voltage at the brake lights and had a friend (paving slab) press the brake pedal and got     nothing.
*I have used an oscillator to tone through the wire from the brake light switch connecter, (with the brake light switches disconnected), all the way to the brake lights and there is no break in the cable.

I therefore reckon that the culprit must be the brake light switch. I checked resistance across the blades of the switches and was only getting a few hundred ohms. I thought this would need to be in the millions.

What do you guys reckon? I am no mechanic and all the tests I did above stem from me being a telecoms engineer.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.   
Blisteredfingerz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blisteredfingerz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 15 at 15:12
Ive just had a thought. If I take the connecters off the brake light switches and bridge each one with a piece of wire then;

If brake lights work then switch was knackered

If lights dont work then its bulbs, wiring, connections etc that are at fault

Sound right?
byroad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote byroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 15 at 17:51
Do it, see what happens!
old truckers don't die, they get a camper!
outtatime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outtatime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 15 at 20:27
Come on, come on, where's the result? It's like a cliffhanger in a soap opera! Wink

Did you sort it??
LT28 2.4TD (DV) Camper 'Morgan'(H998 RUM)
LT40 2.4TD (DV) Camper D562 RCY
Discovery 200 TDI
Discovery 300 TDIx3 (Tetley,Lileth & ????)
Skoda Felicia
BMW F650 GS
KTM 200 EXC
Honda Trail 90 (CT90)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blisteredfingerz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 15 at 21:33
And the killer is.............................................tune in next week to find out.

Sorry guys, been away for 2 days so not had chance to try it. All will be revealed tommorrow though.

Dont touch that dial. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blisteredfingerz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 15 at 16:50
Drum roll please............Bridged the brake light switch connectors with pieces of wire and the brake lights came on. Happy days. 

One thing thats baffling me is why are there 2 switches. I bridged 1 connecter and left the other disconnected and still both brake lamps came on. Haynes manual only shows one switch. No mention of the other.

Being a newbie I realise ive posted all this in the LT2 section. Apologies.

Post Reply Post Reply