The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Engine to Swap my dj 2.1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arbor-aero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Engine to Swap my dj 2.1
    Posted: 15 Jun 19 at 19:57
I've a T3 (84) was running fine untill i took off road for a couple of years. Starts but drops off after heating up. I've a tischer pod on it too. I stipped the pod down but can't restore it for time and time all the bits are there and ready but thats another story. history over.

Whats the best engine to swap my DJ for?

- I want to use the pick up for day to traveling and want a decent mph with reliability?
- Then the pod will be on her for our travels, So the engine will need torgue for pulling the pod about.

Any ideas please? 
I'm getting there
flying haggis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flying haggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 19 at 19:36
I'm in the same boat, my 2.1 is dying slowly? My thoughts were for simplicity to keep petrol models petrol and diesels, diesel. So Subaru EJ20/25 or Golf GTI 2.0 or the 1.8 turbo for the petrol conversation (I'm going Subaru) and if you want to swap to Diesel its AAZ, 1Y or the TDI route.
The diesel conversion into a petrol has more parts to find it engine bars/mounts bell housing etc and some TDI 's need the gearbox updated. Some petrol conversations need the diesel bell housing and bars or custom.
The big question is budget though and how deep your pockets are.
Take a walk on the wild side
Paulc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 20 at 22:46
Mk3 golf GTI 2l 8v swap is quite popular using diesel bits and brickwerks offer bits off the shelf too. There is a Facebook group for the conversion with lots of handy info
912 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 20 at 10:50
whats actually wrong with your engine? sounds like it needs a run and a tune up
tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 20 at 14:12
Compression test might be a good start.  If that checks out ok then engine ahould atill be good - ignition and fuel systems might need work.

TT
 Post Reply Post Reply