The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LTmk1 Splitting Propshafts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1994LT35MINIBUSCAMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LTmk1 Splitting Propshafts
    Posted: 02 Aug 19 at 21:54
Hi folks

In the process of replacing the carrier bearing, got the propshaft off ok. I have a problem splitting the shaft at the carrier bearing though. Looked at on line manual levering against bolt in UJ but it's not budging using a vice and small crowbar, I don't want to push it too far in case I damage the uj. I've left it soaking tonight with WD40 and some thin spray oil. Any ideas tips for levering the splines apart all advice appreciated. Thanks Michael
Michael
1994LT35MINIBUSCAMP View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1994LT35MINIBUSCAMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 19 at 19:40
Thought I'd post just so there's an answer for folks in the same boat
split the shafts today. I'd taken locking tab and c washer off yesterday but splines were seized together and didn't lever apart as shown in manual. So today after soak in oil then diesel I wound the bolt so only about 1 cm above uj (clamped in vice) then hammered in a wedge shaped cold chisel flat edge on bolt other face pushing against uj. This when hammer grudgingly forced it back. Undid bolt another cm then repeated process with chisel. It did free off on third unwind but it was a bit nervewracking as I was worried about damaging thread on bolt/breaking uj. Centre bearing was easy after that, I'd marked positions on diff and gearbox with silver paint so went back in easy. No pics but hopefully description will help I did put copper slip on the splines and gave them a good clean before I put everything back so hopefully no chisels next timw
Michael
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 19 at 12:33
Thumbs Up
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 19 at 22:24
Thank you for spreading the information. Il start taking out the 2,4 diesel sucker and the gearbox in a few days, and also the propshaft has to go out, since i wil have another gearbox mated to the 5syl TDI engine, that is going in. So if i will get any problems splitting the propshaft i will read Your description in detail.
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply