The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT35 2.4D 1991 - Smokey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbeaves12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT35 2.4D 1991 - Smokey
    Posted: 11 Oct 19 at 00:21
Ahoy,

Got a big trip planned in our lt. all been serviced recently but getting a little white smoke on startup and black smoke when you’ve got her flat out. Not too bad but should I be worried? Get smoke machine levels of black if I’m in 4th doing slow speeds if you get me. 

Tell me it’s all gonna be OK Confused

Cheers for your time gang,

Jack
Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 19 at 23:32
What you've got is not uncommon. White smoke on initial start up is pretty normal. Did the service include a new air filter? If not then get a new one. Mann filters are the original supplier and best quality I've found for the LT. Eitherway it seems to be partially or fully uncombusted fuel causing black and white, usually due to lack of oxygen. Go read up about it. You can do some quick checks to see.
LT45-TD-ACL-intercooler-4x4-1993
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 19 at 19:29
Air filter is under your drivers seat toward the rear.  That's the easiest thing to check and if necessary change.  I believe next up might be to check your  injector timing belt is right and that fuel is getting delivered and being burned at the right time,  followed by having the injectors themselves checked and if that lot still doesn't resolve it,  then need to dig deeper. Need to check valve timing,  look at possible carbon deposits .  
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
 Post Reply Post Reply