The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VW LT28 2.4, speedometer and fan problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rafollos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VW LT28 2.4, speedometer and fan problem
    Posted: 13 Oct 19 at 19:34
Hi,

I have a 1991 LT28 that has an electronic speedometer with a tachometer. I can’t get the speedo up - all I see is some cables running towards it - is there a mechanical cable that goes directly to the gearbox? The tachometer works sometimes - the clock sometimes gets up, but that happens irregularly. Anyway the speedo does not work. Can anybody point me in the right direction? :)

The second thing that I’m puzzled with is the heating fan - it does not work, the switch doesn’t nothing. There is no electricity running to the switch, so I’m not sure what’s dead exactly. 
What should I start with? The cables look ok, the switches seems fine, so are the fuses. 

The only thing that does not seem to work properly isn’t the light switch, I already bought a new one and it’s being shipped to me. Can this be a problem?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated!
Raf
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 19 at 22:28
To start With Your 3rd question. At least on VW T3 this often fails https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/lt-parts/electrical/lt-switches-and-sensors/ignition-switch-t3.html it is under the key sylinder. It could fail if to much current goes throug it. In a T3 it is on the Spareparts youalways carry list. And if it fails, lots of other Things may not work.
Q1: Has Your LT been a bus With 10+ seats, since it is not normal to have a taco in a LT28? The LT Usualy has wire opperated speedometer and the gearbox is usualy made for a wire opperation. Until -94 we payed tax per kilometer on Diesel cars in Norway, so i have a splitt on the wire from the gearbox, going to the kilometer counter, usualy made by Kienzle. Losen the 6 bolts and take of the protection under the gearbox and rear part of the engine. and start there to look. The Electric sender could be on the gerabox, if not it has to be somewhere on the wire, so just to follow it. Most Truck garages are autorised to work on Tacographs in trucks and buses, so they might help you. And they are not ment to be repaired by un authorized persons. In the bigger cities there are also spesial Taco repair shops and they doesn't do anything else than working on tacos so they should be able to help you quite fast.
Q2: If there is no electrisity to the switch, the fan wil not work, so you have to start With getting electrisity to the switch Here is the switch:https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/lt-parts/electrical/lt-switches-and-sensors/heater-fan-switch-t3-lt-caddy-budget.html if it is the defroster fan, here is the motor:https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/lt-parts/electrical/pumps-motors-actuators/heater-motor-lt1.html

But start With the ignition switch
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply