Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

General Leisure Battery Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: General Leisure Battery Question
    Posted: 16 Apr 20 at 14:13

What with having a bit of time on my hands at the moment, I've been spending some time on the Florida.

Just finished a rebuild on the eber, and am about to install new supply cable for it too while the interior is apart.

Also converting the rest of the traditional lighting to LED.

So that brings me the leisure batteries. There are two 66Ah traditional wet cell batteries on the Florida, wired in parallel. They're both knackered and need replacing.

Any collective wisdom on replacements? The highest draw is the eber which pulls 20amps for about a minute when it starts then drops to around 1 amp.

Everything else is pretty low rent in terms of current draw - lights are all LED, fridge only works on 12v when driving, the boiler draws cock all, then it's just the water pump occasionally and the kids on their iPads.

I'm considering just getting a single large AGM leisure battery of about 100 or 120AH; or I could go for two wet cell batteries again of about 80AH each.

Any thoughts from the Brickies brethren and sistren?

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 20 at 06:27
I'd go for as large an AGM as conveniently fit.  The bigger the battery the higher the charge level it keeps when in use (which will mean it lasts longer before needing replacement).  

I have a FullRiver AGM in my van that is still going strong after 13 years of intermittent use.  I do keep it charged, and try not to deep discharge it.  

Note that AGM batteries require a different charging regime (including voltage) than regular lead acid batteries to perform at their best.  And never do a "recond" on an AGM, it doesn't (can't) work and will likely wreck the battery.
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 20 at 17:25

I'm leaning towards a single 120AH AGM battery for sure.
There's loads of room for it.

The onboard charger in the van (240v powered charger that works when the van is hooked up) during is the standard Westfalia fitment - charging is via the van alternator when driving and by the onboard charger when hooked up. The charger kicks in when the battery voltage drops below 11.5V (I think). It's a pretty basis affair.

I also have a Maypole smart charger (MP7423) which I could replace the standard charger with if needed. I modified the wiring a while back so I can just unplug the old charger and plug in a new one if needed (a proactive measure in case the old one gave up the ghost).

The new one is definitely suitable for AGM, but don't know about the original charger to be honest.

Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 20 at 17:55
In my Karmann LT i have one 80Ah AGM battery. It is enough. Off season i charge it once or twice. In the summer the original split charger system in the Karmann charges it. When i had the battery in my T3 Reimo it also ran the smal Electrolux fridge from -85 for about 40 hours, before going dead. In my Karmann i will, when that day comes, replace the AGM wit a Lithium battery of about the same size. it will reduce the battery weight from 23kg to about 10-11kg. When i bought the LT it had a 31kg lead battery of 88Ah. The LT is wery weight sensitive and i am always on the weight limit, so my plan is to fitt a solar panel of 180watt to charge the battery when i rewire the fridge so it runs on 12v when the engine is off. So the solar panel replaces aux battery number 2.
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 20 at 11:34
Originally posted by Buss Marius Buss Marius wrote:

In my Karmann LT i have one 80Ah AGM battery. It is enough. Off season i charge it once or twice. In the summer the original split charger system in the Karmann charges it. When i had the battery in my T3 Reimo it also ran the smal Electrolux fridge from -85 for about 40 hours, before going dead. In my Karmann i will, when that day comes, replace the AGM wit a Lithium battery of about the same size. it will reduce the battery weight from 23kg to about 10-11kg. When i bought the LT it had a 31kg lead battery of 88Ah. The LT is wery weight sensitive and i am always on the weight limit, so my plan is to fitt a solar panel of 180watt to charge the battery when i rewire the fridge so it runs on 12v when the engine is off. So the solar panel replaces aux battery number 2.

Does the standard charger in the LT chagre the AGM ok Marius? Is it permanently wired in?

The charger in the Florida is a permanent fixture and is always 'on' when the van is hooked up.

My understanding is that as well as charging the battery, it will act as supply when the battery is low or in high current draw situations.

donecan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donecan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 20 at 17:08
I've always got my advice and solar/ leisure/ camper electrics from Martyn at Travelvolts:

He's a good chap & knowledgeable.
 Post Reply Post Reply