The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice for a friend buying a 1976 LT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice for a friend buying a 1976 LT
    Posted: 26 May 20 at 13:24
Hey Brickies

A friend of mine is thinking about buying a 1976 LT, they're going to see it on friday.

They asked me about common problems to look out for, to check if the van is up to spec. My LT is about 20 years younger ('95 with ACL engine) so I think I'm not very qualified to answer the question.

Anyone who's go an LT from that era, what are common problems which might be good to check for before buying the van?

(yes, I've already directed them to the LT buyers guide)
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 20 at 18:28
Look for rust that'll be a pain in the arse to fix like the windscreen bottom corners. My theory is that if you can see even a tiny bit coming through on or near that little seam, there's a HOLE bunch more waiting to be found with the windscreen out. Make sure the floor in the drivers footwell isn't too rotted out. take a magnet to find the filler. Have a butchers at the fuse box and the earths. Rusty earths behind the washer bottle might be another good indicator of water ingress from either the indicators or the windscreen corners. Fusebox on drivers side can also suffer. Ask breakers if they've got any spares for it too so you've got some place to go buy the inevitable parts. Get ready for work. There will be loads unless it really is a gem. If the price is right and you aren't work shy, then go for it. Measure body to ground on both wheels on rear axel. Make sure not too wonky (higher on one side than the other). Same for front. Check for play in the steering box. check for cracks in the expansion tank. check for oil leaks and try to ascertain where they re coming from. Gear box bung? Sump Gasket or bung? Head gasket? Rocker cover? I'd take a multimeter and check any electrics you might be suspicious of, and I'd look at the seams/gutters along the line where the roof meets the body.
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
 Post Reply Post Reply