The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Knocking in idle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knocking in idle
    Posted: 27 Jul 20 at 08:55
My 2011 t5 tdi vw transporter makes a funny knocking noise when I start her up yet as soon as I put my foot on the clutch she is as quite as a mouse. Then when I lift it off it’s the same knocking again.has anybody had this problem before.
It runs fine but sounds rough. Haven’t noticed the clutch slipping either. Thanks 
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 20 at 11:56
Could be the DMF on the way out.  Try reversing up a slope while partially slipping the clutch, if it shudders like buggery, vibrates and carries on your DMF might be cactus.  DMFs do wear out on these.  If it is failing then replace sooner rather than later, IIRC they can let go and take out the bell housing.

Consensus is to replace it with another DMF, not a SMF (the latter can cause problems with the 'box).

If I really stretch my failing memory I might suggest a Sachs rather than a LUK DMF (but my memory could be wrong - do a bit of research)

Edited by gregozedobe - 27 Jul 20 at 11:57
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 20 at 16:01
Most likely to be the DMF especially if you have bad clutch judder too.  The other (and unfortunately more expensive) possibility is the gearbox since when the clutch pedal is pressed fully down the first motion shaft (primary shaft) stops turning.  You need to get someone with experience to have a listen to it because you don't want to be having the gearbox out twice.  

I did the DMF and clutch (and gearbox!) on my 6 speed 174 a couple of years ago.  The parts for the clutch/DMF alone were about £450 and that was a pretty good deal.  The 5 speed parts can be got for about £100 less.  

Edited by T5 TDI - 28 Jul 20 at 19:08
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply