The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T4 2000 VR6 Transporter Random Engine Stops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave.arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T4 2000 VR6 Transporter Random Engine Stops
    Posted: 26 Jul 21 at 23:52
Posting for a friend.
2000 T4 (Transporter) Winebago Conversion VR6 ~200,000KM (US vehicle) Automatic

Vehicle works well, no CEL. After a few hours of driving, engine will stop, in some cases it bucks. Dash lights all come on (same as when you turn on the ignition. Engine will crank but not start. After a period of time (5 min or so) engine will restart, no CEL, no diagnostic.

The vehicle may then be fine for a month and then repeat.

In my uninformed opinion, I think the main power relay for the ECU is failing (if in fact there is one).

Looking for any opinions or experiences. Thanks in Advance!
dave.arthur View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dave.arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 21 at 00:14
We found the solution to this issue Very Happy

We decided to order a new ECM relay (165 906 381). This is for a 2000 T4 with an AES VR6 engine.

I got the new part and went to my friends vehicle, looked in relay position 3 and to my surprise there was NO relay there. The vehicle was drivable, albeit with the random stops etc.

I double checked again that this was a required part and that that was the correct relay...etc. We installed the new relay.

All the problems disappeared. From the wiring diagrams I have been able to view, it appears this relay is actually switching a ground to the ECM. I'm guessing that the ECM was drawing a ground through the engine sensors, injectors or other.

Strange but true!

Thanks for those who offered comments and suggestions.
 Post Reply Post Reply