The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glow Plug Replacement 2.4d

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawklord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glow Plug Replacement 2.4d
    Posted: 09 Nov 13 at 10:42
Did my glow plugs last night, wasn't that hard really, just thought i'd give a quick rundown on how i did it.
Tools needed: 8mm spanner (ratchet better), 17mm long and short spanner, 12mm spanner, 12mm socket, 27mm deep socket, and most importantly, magnetic telescopic pickup tool!
First off, open up the 'bonnet' and set about removing the injector fuel lines, undo all nuts on injectors, the undo all nuts on pump (back 2 are tricky, use stubby 17mm spanner), when they are are undone, jiggle pipework out of the way.
For the 'back 3' glowplugs, undo and remove busbar, you can get to the 8mm nut on the 6th glowplug using a spanner at a angle, bit at a time.
The first 4 glowplugs (from front vehicle) are childs play, the 5th can be undone, then levitated in and out using magnetic pickup tool.
Remove last injector (rear of vehicle) using deep 27mm socket.
The 6th plug, loosen from head, and nibble it bit by bit with your spanner until it is fully undone, try not to drop it, then go behind it with magnetic tool, and remove, you will have to twist and turn it.
Make sure the 8mm nut is finger tight on new plug, the replace using magnetic tool, twisting and turning again!
When square in it's hole, try to get your fingers of your left hand down the back of the pump and see if you can screw it in, if not, ensuring it is kept square in it's slot, use a 8mm spanner on the end nut until it bites, the use 12mm spanner to bolt it home.
Replace all bits, then get wife to make a brew and breath a sigh of relief.

2001 Sprinter, like a LT35 with a decent engine!
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 13 at 19:52
Good write up - all I'd add is that I generally cut a slot in the terminal strip linking the glow plugs. This means that you can thread the nuts on with the plugs out of the engine, and makes the job easier next time! No more risk of dropping the nuts.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Hawklord View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawklord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 13 at 15:14
I think someone must have already done that at some point as there were slots already cut!
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 13 at 02:04
I removed the usual strip and made separate wires from the fuse to each plug, each with its own spade connector. Even power to all plugs.Big smile
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 13 at 15:30
Hi ,often done this job over the many years i have owned LT's,with just removing the glow plugs and the busbar, number six is the most difficult mabey i'm not as mechanically useless as i though ?! But to be honest i think i would have more trouble getting the fuel pipes back on the pump if i did it this way.
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
Junk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 19 at 10:36
Originally posted by Hawklord Hawklord wrote:

First off, open up the 'bonnet' and set about removing the injector fuel lines, undo all nuts on injectors,
Remove last injector (rear of vehicle) using deep 27mm socket. 

Never taken out the injector fuel lines or any of the injectors myself before, anything to watch out for?

Read in a few places that you shouldn't try it yourself without help of an experienced mechanic but I don't see how hard it can be. Maybe I'm missing something.

I know this post is 5 years old and not likely that OP responds, but rather than start a new topic I thought I'd ask this here in the hope that someone who knows the answer will read it.

Thanks!
Hawklord View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawklord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 19 at 10:45
I’m still here, years later!
Sold the LT years back, but if you’re whizzing the injector out;
Make sure it’s clean around the hole (oo err madam!)
Go slow when undoing.
Retrieve copper sealing washer from said hole, and replace it.
Fitting is a reversal.
Use a torque wrench.
Don’t do what I did on a 1.6 diesel and rip a massive hole in head from over tightening 😱

Edited by Hawklord - 03 Dec 19 at 10:46
Junk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 19 at 12:37
Replace the copper washer as in put a new one, or just replace the one that was already in there?

What torque did you tighten until?
Junk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 19 at 12:39
Originally posted by Hawklord Hawklord wrote:

I’m still here, years later!
Sold the LT years back, but if you’re whizzing the injector out;

No more LT but still checking the forum, what a commitment!
Hawklord View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawklord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 19 at 13:00
my new torque wrench turned out to be a cheap uncalibrated affair, with expensive results 😂
Hawklord View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawklord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 19 at 13:01
for the sake of £1, go to nearest diesel shop and buy a few copper washers.
Junk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 19 at 09:56
Ok did it! thanks a lot Hawklord for this post it was a great help.

Didnt have telescopic magnet so i just squeezed my fingers in there.

Only had to take out the fuel lines on the 5th and 6th injector, and didnt take out the injector itself.

Cut a 12mm spanner short to get the 6th glow plug out. Cut a 17mm spanner short to get one of the injector fuel lines out on the injector pump end.

Hardest part was the nut on the busbar of the 6th glow plug, wouldnt have been able to do it without cutting short an 8mm ring spanner with a kink at the end, like this:

Hawklord View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawklord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 19 at 19:36
proper job 😀
 Post Reply Post Reply