Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heater controls and fan switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heater controls and fan switch
    Posted: 30 Apr 12 at 11:39
More ignition aggro on the 2.6i so it's dash out and get to the bottom of the fault. The fan has been a one speed all-or-nothing unreliable thing for ages, temp control cable very stiff etc. etc.

You CANNOT remove the heater control unit through the dash aperture to get to the switch, I've tried and it's just not possible. Good thing is that the switch is still available through TPS as it was used on Audi A4's well into the noughties.

A few reference pics. Is it me or is that servo a bit on the big side? Wink

Have I missed anything?
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 12 at 11:47
What's the part number on the heater control unit Ian?

I've got a brand new one here that looks very very similar.
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 12 at 12:42
Heater is BCW 819 013 E by the look of it, so a typical SA locally sourced part (along with the BCA numbers that you find on these)
Dash end vents always get fresh air, not heated so it's like an early German one but with the vacuum actuator.
Control unit is LHD Audi 80, bit odd that!

Edited by silverbullet - 30 Apr 12 at 12:46
Have I missed anything?
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 12 at 12:51
8D2 819 045 on this one so not the same.
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 12 at 22:12
Well I've never had a heater switch where you can rattle the contacts, the rivets have all come loose! The plug is also a bit burnt from the supply contact arcing, might just have one in the old quattro loom.

So a bit of bodging to correct then time to check under the bus before putting the dash back in.

I really hope I can find something 'cos it all looks ok at the relay board end, apart from the piss poor SA cruise control installation: that's coming out tomorrow and going in the classifieds.
Have I missed anything?
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 12 at 13:20
No joy with your new heater cables as they are now disscontinued from VWSA
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 12 at 10:51
Thanks for asking mate, mine freed up with a good dousing of GT85 spray and some white teflon grease on the cams in the control box - highly recommended if you're in there.

New switch works a treat, the novelty of 4 fan speeds and a heater control that actually works!

P.S. buy one while they are still available from VAG - I'll look out the part number later.

Might be an idea to get a spare control box too, LHD Audi 80.

Edited by silverbullet - 03 May 12 at 11:05
Have I missed anything?
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 12 at 19:42
Heater switch 893 959 511
Loom plug 443 972 996 (brown, but any will do)

I've included the plug # as mine had loosened the rivets on the spring terminals, causing arcing and a big current drain that had overheated the feed terminal. Result - burnt plug body.
Have I missed anything?
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 12 at 21:23
Thanks for the info and those part numbers.
 Post Reply Post Reply