The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to stop an LT getting stuck

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneyBunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to stop an LT getting stuck
    Posted: 28 Nov 13 at 00:40
Does anyone know how to stop an LT getting stuck on soft ground or gravel roads?!

Flora is constantly slipping one back wheel on real basic terrain.

We need to keep about 5 bags of cement in the rear, and sometimes also need to deflate the rear tyres, even for minor challenges.

Anyone got a remedy or limited slip diff center?
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 13 at 02:11
I have the same problem and it drives me nuts, especially on light snow/ice. I have a set of chains for the wheels but that can be a real pain.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
Rabbit 16v View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbit 16v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 13 at 03:09
Add 4x4. Problem solved. Thumbs Up
Chris
1985 LT40 4x4 2.5 TDI
1987 LT28 Florida
1985 LT45 Sülzer D24TI
1992 LT40 4x4 D24t
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 13 at 06:37
Off road isn't somewhere LT's are designed for, too little weight over the driving wheels and low gearing.
Keeping a full tank of fuel will add weight @ 10lbs a gallon, but maintaining momentum is the key.
If you do get stuck, then an old bit of carpet etc under the spinning wheel can help, as can applying the handbrake slowly. Bound to be some advice on youtube etc.
Chains will help to maintain momentum but fit them before you get stuck.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbit 16v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 13 at 07:47
Is an option for using a rear diff locker possible? Perhaps using a rear end from a 4x4 with a locker? I am not familiar with gear ratios compared to 4x4 vs 2wd.
Chris
1985 LT40 4x4 2.5 TDI
1987 LT28 Florida
1985 LT45 Sülzer D24TI
1992 LT40 4x4 D24t
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 13 at 08:11
Winter tyres may help too.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 13 at 13:41
Winter tires don't help when the snow has turned to ice under the tire. I think studs are needed
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 13 at 15:08
An old trick is to partially apply the handbrake (if it operates on the drive axle) - this will reduce the spinning and transfer some torque away from the spinning wheel back to the one with more traction.

But as suggested by others, a locking diff is a more effective solution (maybe an ARB air-locker if they make one for an LT, or is there an OEM fitted by VW ? ).  Of course a 4x4 conversion with locking centre and front and rear diffs would give better results again, but won't make an LT an off-road tractor by any means.

Tyre tread also comes into play - a smooth "road" pattern won't get the grip of a more aggressive off-road tread on slippery grass and dirt/mud, but more aggressive treads tend to wear more quickly and make a lot more road noise.
HoneyBunny View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneyBunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 13 at 16:45
Wow!! What an amazing response! I thought i was all alone...

Yeah, diff lock is the go; or independent L/R service brakes could do it.

Thanks for the input everyone. There's a difflock listed in the VW parts catalogue. Does anyone know if the LT diff carrier was used in anything else? Has anyone got tech drawings and dimensions?

I've been thinking of grafting on some wings so Flora can fly. She's a bit of a goose at times.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneyBunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 13 at 16:51
If anyone has an old carrier center I can maybe match something up and send the results back out to the community; can maybe fit the axle gears into an alternate LSD or locker carrier
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 13 at 12:53
HB, if you can find any reference to the diff lock, please share it because I cannot find anything and this truck is a royal pain in the ass in partial ice. Never had this problem with my T4s.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneyBunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 13 at 18:35
I have the ELSA software which lists parts and shows images but alot is no longer in stock from VW germany; they threw it all in the scrap bin; gear sets nada...

Maybe an 8" lsd centre from a pajero might be able to be adapted... All that's need is the planetary gearset and stock crownwheel adapted to what ever carrier. I did an MG TF years ago; went from 4.875 to 3.9. All the white-coats said the car would never pull it. Haha, thing did 110mph straight past xjs's; cruised at 70mph and gave back 45mpg!

Information that I've found says the 4x4 units were built by a third party separate to VW

If anyone has a centre carrier they can measure up I can maybe match/machine something up. Can't be too hard, its just metal...
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 13 at 02:49
If I understood half of what you just said, I'd be a mechanic....but I'm just a wanna be.Big smile

I'll have to bone up on what this looks like I guess so if you have any pics or drawings, ......pretty please.Wink
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneyBunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 13 at 03:25
Understand... I've been turning tools since age three... Unconscious awareness...
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 13 at 00:04
I can use a lathe and mill, fit boilers, rads, solar panels and a bunch of other shit but I still don't get the innards of diffs and trannys (not transexuals, transmissions) and much other crap but i am willing to learn (although not about the transexuals, haha)Wink
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneyBunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 13 at 15:28
Canada, all you need to do is get a good text book about gearboxes and final drives and start reading; one that shows you the line of movement through various components. It's really simple stuff. If you can understand how a spanner turns a nut then you're 85% of the way there!

If you can use a lathe and mill and have access to them then you can mod out a diff center from a suitable donor vehicle. All you do is match up the exterior sizing of the OEM center; distance between main carrier bearing journals, the inside diameter of the crownwheel mount, match up the fixing threads of the new crownwheel and the distance (off center location) of the crownwheel mounting face between the two main journal mounts. i.e. the crownwheel needs to be located in the same exact position relative to the input pinion gear. Any carrier of similar dimension can be adapted so long as you follow the above.

Additionally you need to adapt the actual 'differential' planetary gearset (the inner small four gears) to the new carrier in order to retain the OEM axles with matching splines.

A bit of micrometer measuring involved, fitting spacers and shims, possibly some grinding.

You will still be left with a restricted choice of available final drive ratios but you will get your diff lock or lsd.

Depends how much originality you want to retain.

The real crap stems from the 5 x 160mm PCD used for the road wheels. What a dumb idea. Its the only dumb idea I've come across on the LT
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 13 at 16:03
Is the crown gear the same as the ring gear?

Also, I have probably the worst final drive ratios around as top speed MIGHT be 105kph and I would like to increase that somewhat. I know there are other ratios available and will be looking for another set in the UK or Germany. This would be a start to getting the diff lock done as well.

94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneyBunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 13 at 19:30
Yes, the crown wheel and ring gear are the same thing; commonly referred to as 'ring & pinion' pinion being the smaller gear. Depends on what country you're in.

You can find out your ratio by jacking up one rear wheel mark the tire and drive shaft with chalk, count how many turns of the drive shaft to one turn of the road wheel and divide by two. That will be your ratio. Mine's 4.875:1. There's also a flat spot on the top and/or right of the diff housing .

Go to the tech section and download LT gearbox and final drive PDF and look at the pics to find out exactly where it is.

<http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/technical-manuals-current-link_topic57738.html>

Here are some OEM build plate codes and part numbers to get you started:

FINAL DRIVE RATIOS

9E/8B - 53/14 - 3.78:1 - P/N 281/291 525 143 G - MODEL 5T - $1300 AUS

5T    - 53/13 - 4.07:1 - P/N 281/291 525 143 H - MODEL 9E - $800 AUS

8Y    - 41/10 - 4.10:1

9C/8W - 40/9 - 4.444:1

6C/8V - 39/8 - 4.875:1

8C/2L - 43/8 - 5.375:1

7C    - 41/7 - 5.857:1

AGJ   - 45/7 - 6.420:1

CARRIER - 291 525 121 A - 8V/8C/6C/7C/9C/9E/5T/AGJ

CARRIER - 281 525 121 A - 2L/8Y8V/8W/8B

Again, all parts are no longer available from VW Germany.

This chat is starting to get off the subject a little. I'm likely to get the stick for getting too technical. So just PM me if you want more guidance. If you want P# for the diff lock I could probably trace them, but they will be of no real use as all stock has been deleted.

BTW Ford Mk6 T1N transit vans use a 3.77:1 ratio

LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 13 at 21:33
Originally posted by HoneyBunny HoneyBunny wrote:

too technical

No such thing.!!!Big smile Never too late to learn.Geek

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbit 16v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 13 at 23:01
Instead of taking this to PM, perhaps it could be moved to the technical section? This way others can benefit from this information in the future..

Chris
1985 LT40 4x4 2.5 TDI
1987 LT28 Florida
1985 LT45 Sülzer D24TI
1992 LT40 4x4 D24t
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>